Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Cavy does not want to play in play pen

Gimli

Cavy Slave
Howdy, so I got my little guy a Guinea Pig Play Pen today so that he could get more exersize. The silly dude is just not interested. He just stands there and stares at me. I put his igloo inside it so he would have a familiar safe place but, now he just sits in it. So I thought A Ha! I will coax him out with his favorite treat. So I got a little sprig of parsley and put it on the other side of the pen. He ran over grabbed the parsley took it inside his igloo and ate it. lol Silly rascal. Is there any way you can think of for me to get him to play? What kind of toys are good? Is he just scared and will warm up to it eventually?

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
If his igloo is his most used hidey in his cage I would take it out. Instead of hideys, place tunnels and bridges around the area. Also you can leave little pieces of his favourite veggies around the cage.

I would really recommend adopting him a friend. Guinea pigs are very sociable animals and much happier in pairs or small groups. Another guinea pig should bring him out of his shell and make him more friendly as well as happier. Two guinea pigs normally make a much more productive floor time than one as they will chase each other and feel safer in a pair.

pinky

Cavy Slave
He might have been scared in a different environment. I have pigloos in my cages and all of my guinea pigs use them to sleep but they don't stay in them all the time. Having a companion gives them the socialization they need and would probably motivate him to be more active.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.