Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Grid cage with no coroplast?

Samantha Leahy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone :)
My brother's cage is just grids with no coroplast.:confused: I have taken a strong interest to his guinea pig Hazel and have been contributing what I can for her. I am reading that everyone uses coroplast to bottom the cage. My brother just has the grids (cage) sitting on top of a fleece blanket. The grids have cardboard tied to them going around the bottom half of the cage. This seems like it works fine to me. But is there a reason there should be something else on the bottom? Should I go out and find some coroplast to set it up for him or is the cage fine the way it is? I don't want to have to buy it if it isn't really necessary.

Any information/advice is much appreciated! Thank you!

You're going to wand something waterproof, I use a shower curtain as my bottom layer. You're also going to want something absorbent between that and the fleece, such as towels or a uhaul pad. Does your fleece wick properly? And is it possible to post some pictures of the cage so we can get a better idea of what you're working with??

If your cage is sitting on the floor, pee will leak under the cardboard and ruin the floor. If the cage is sitting on a table, pee will ruin the table.

I think that the fleece I had her on when I was pet sitting her at my house was better than what he is using now so I am going to exchange them now. I will try to post a picture in a few minutes. Thank you!

Here is a picture.

Attachments

image.jpg
What is under the fleece, besides cardboard? If only cardboard, the floor will be ruined.
Also you don't want to use waterproof fleece for the cage. If they pee on the fleece, it should be absorbed by the absorbent layers under fleece.

Add a plastic shower curtain or tarp under the cardboard, and it should be good to go.

There isn't cardboard under the fleece, I meant just around the cage, temporarily right now I put one of those wet proof crib mattress pad things on top of the original fleece blanket and then put this additional fleece on top of that. (The fleece that I believe works better) I will find a shower curtain to put underneath instead. So the only thing with the coroplast is basically waterproofing the floor from what I understand from your replies, so ill find a shower curtain and then we're good. :) Thank you all for your help :)

Attachments

image.jpg
The coroplast can also be scored to help form sides so it is like a long box....because sometimes they do like to back into a corner to pee...the cardboard border won't last very long if it gets wet and is quite a tempting chew toy for the piggy...then the other question I have is how big are the spaces in the grids? Can the piggy possibly slip her head in them? You can find other alternatives or just wait for a clearance sale on the GuineaCage store...in fact, they have a special on coroplast right now...five sheets for $20. Might be worth it....

There isn't cardboard under the fleece, I meant just around the cage, temporarily right now I put one of those wet proof crib mattress pad things on top of the original fleece blanket and then put this additional fleece on top of that. (The fleece that I believe works better) I will find a shower curtain to put underneath instead. So the only thing with the coroplast is basically waterproofing the floor from what I understand from your replies, so ill find a shower curtain and then we're good. :) Thank you all for your help :)

Wet proof crib mattress pads will work too.

If you want to get coroplast, you can get one at Home Depot for $13.46.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202771364?catalogId=10053

Do you have anything between the fleece and waterproof layer? You're going to want something absorbent so your cage doesn't smell so quickly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.