Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello New here and brand new Guinea Pig owner :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Your welcome :) and thank you! :D I did t know anything at first either, but over time, I learned a lot obout our lil piggie friends :) oh, and any other questions you may have, I'd be more than happy to answer them! :D

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
So what kind of fresh treats to you feed your guinea pigs each day? Mine have kale, carrots, and apples. Sometimes for a special treat I give them kiwi, cucumber for domino because only he likes it, and strawberries. :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry, i told you one piece of incorrect information. I questioned what I had told you about getting more food bowls and water bottles, therefore, I did some research. It revealed varied responses. Some say for two guinea pigs, use two water bottles and food bowls. Others said they shared just one. Although, in my personal opinion, I would use two to be on the safe side. And all results revealed with three guinea pigs, they used only two bowls and bottles. Some other people may use more, though. But still, I recommend using two of each to be safe and to avoid dominance over food/water if you have two guinea pigs. I think two will be necessary if you add a piggie. And for three piggies, I think two is enough. Because, what are the odds they all want to eat or drink a once? Where it's more likely with two piggies. But it is not a NECESSITY. Like I said, I deeply apologize. I hope this does not effect your feeling of whether or not my information is valid. So sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
One source of my verification :

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
More sources of my verification:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/67027-How-many-water-bottle-do-you-have
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120102085114AAgKaNt
https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110211145057AAlD9Nt

Most sources believe two of each is best. For three guinea pigs, two water bottles and food bowls are definitely required (based on my basic guinea pig knowledge and some guinea pig research I have done) and some, not all, get three, Yet, there is no plain right or wrong answer. I should not have stated as a fact that it is needed, but shown you both sides.

Overall, with all things said, I recommendthat you use two water bottles for two or three guinea pigs. I apologize fr the wordiness also, just didn't want to confuse you.. :) but I believe most guinea pig owners recommend two bowls and wate bottles for two guineas :)

Khrisxtine

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much @Guineapigpro for doing that for me! :) Truly appreciate it!!

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
So what kind of fresh treats to you feed your guinea pigs each day? Mine have kale, carrots, and apples. Sometimes for a special treat I give them kiwi, cucumber for domino because only he likes it, and strawberries. :)

You're feeding them carrots and apples every day? This is not ideal as they are very high in sugar. Have you read these?
https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/food/Veggie-and-Fruit-Charts.pdf

It's good for them to have fresh leafy greens and maybe some bell pepper every day.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Yah.. I just learned that about a day ago :/ but I learned that a daily carrot is ok.

Yeah, but how often you should feed everything is on the chart in the link I posted :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Yeah, but how often you should feed everything is on the chart in the link I posted :)
Okay kewl! i actually learned about that too though :) I started a thead recently that taught me a lot. Therefore, I now feed my piggie one serving of green lettuce in the morning, ( along with fresh pellets, hay, and water) and one carrot and romain lettuce in the afternoon. Then, twice a week, I give him one strawberry :D

Khrisxtine

Cavy Slave
I give them romaine lettuce, kale, cilantro and green beans daily and they love that!

for snacks i give them once a week (not all of these, but either or) strawberries or oranges or apples.

I will look at the links you've listed @GoldieBrodiexx :) truly appreciate it!

Am I crazy that I might be adopting two more girls?! (from a member on here that needs to rehome her girls as she's moving out of the country).. So at this time, trying to convince hubby to say yes.. as well as save for a new coroplast base to expand to 2x6!

but If I adopt her girls, I can fit 2x5 right at this moment, but of course would let them have exercise/floor time in a bigger area in our house... as I need to save for a new base and extra grids.. i'm also trying to either save for fleece flippers because I have one whole fleece blanket on my current girls cage and it is a mess to clean (newbie wanting to pull out my hair on cleaning!!! there has to be an easier way to get hay/hair out of the fleece!)

would that be okay for a couple weeks to be in a 2x5 cage? (I have enough grids for that and enough coroplast to expand it that much) but they wouldn't be in there most of the day as they'd be running around in their bigger playpen I have for them downstairs.. because i'm still trying to save for some more grids to make a base as cleaning the current cage on the floor is a killer on my back!

whoever said having these piggies in your lives would be addicting.. you were NOT kidding!! lol

any advice would be appreciated!

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I think it'd be fine just or a little while. :) how many piggies are you wanting to get, in all? That would mainly be in the cage/playpen?

Khrisxtine

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I think it'd be fine just or a little while. :) how many piggies are you wanting to get, in all? That would mainly be in the cage/playpen?

Definitely 4 would be my absolute max.

I was going to just adopt 1 more to make three, but this opportunity jumped at me and how can I refuse! :p

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Yeah. It would be ok i Think :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.