Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare Feeder Fish

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a yellow belly slider turtle so I buy feeder fish often, but after thinking about it, I don't know how to go about buying them in a way that doesn't support something that I definitely don't want to...I've heard about breeding guppies yourself but I seriously don't have the facilities to do that right now.

So, those of you with aquatic reptiles or whatever you have that needs guppies/rosies/ect., where do you get them from?

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
i don't think there's anything wrong with getting feeder fish from the pet store, although its nice you think of the food-to-be's welfare. i honestly doubt there's a better way other than breeding those fishes yourself :eek:ptimist:

when i lived in singapore we had a fish that ate smaller fishes, and we got the supply from a local aquarium store. those are very common there at least, don't know about the states!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I don't have one but maybe buying them at a local fish store that is ethical and knows their stuff vs a pet super store would be better.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
I don't have one but maybe buying them at a local fish store that is ethical and knows their stuff vs a pet super store would be better.

Seconded! People I know that require feeders tend to go with private pet stores who have more control over their supply. Not every private store is humane, but a lot of them are humane as possible as they opened their store from their love of animals!

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Seconded! People I know that require feeders tend to go with private pet stores who have more control over their supply. Not every private store is humane, but a lot of them are humane as possible as they opened their store from their love of animals!
I'll start doing this. I have a pretty good privately owned one that I used to get from, and I'll look back into going there.

It's just still from breeders, yaknow? -.-

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Some stores breed their own because the feeder fish are healthier that way. See if your store does that.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
I'll start doing this. I have a pretty good privately owned one that I used to get from, and I'll look back into going there.

It's just still from breeders, yaknow? -.-

Oh I hear ya!

I've spoken to friends about it and it really boils down to people who breed them and how they do it (like @Inle_Rabbit mentioned). If they have a round of infections going around do they treat the fish for it or let them suffer and die off? Are they in an appropriate size tank for the amount of fish in it or just absolutely crowded? I know that my local pet store has their feeders in a specific tank full of rocks and plants and all that and they only ever have a certain amount (the appropriate amount for that tank) and never more. Supply and demand yes - but they don't allow the fish to suffer or be mistreated just to make more money!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.