Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores The Dilemma of Fish and Pet Stores

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I had a rescued goldfish and betta in the long past, both of which lived long lives. Now I have two aquariums to test for my pet column, so I decided to get bettas again. My previous fish were from people who didn't want them, but this time around I don't know of any unwanted fish so I bought them at a pet store. I feel so dirty!

What do others who own fish here do to get your pets without supporting the horrible trade? Unfortunately doesn't seem to be a Petfinder equivalent for fish. The bettas at the store were in tiny cups, and some were dead. I picked one who was lively and one who gave me that "please get me out of here" look. They'll have a good home now, but that doesn't give me any comfort because it's still blood money that perpetuates the awful conditions. I'd appreciate advice on getting fish without supporting the cruelty.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Wanted ads on craigslist? Some people also breed fish as a hobby, are you anti-fish breeder too?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I always prefer rescue to breeder, but the local Craigslist only had one betta listing which appeared to be either a breeder or store (was selling large quantities of both fish and supplies).

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I used to have a discus fish tank and I found a breeder who bred the most amazing fish. His tanks were gigantic and immaculate. He also charged top dollar for his fish. They were his passion. I found him in the local newspaper. What about posting on Facebook to see if anyone was looking to re-home their fish?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Local fish stores that get their stock from good quality breeders. You will pay more than a pet store but the quality should be worth it.

I see fish on occasion on Craig's List but usually they are ciclids, easy to breed even if you aren't trying and they need a TON of space!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I posted to our community website but no one had any fish to rehome. I really lucked out last time because someone at work brought in her kid's goldfish, which she was going to flush, and my niece had a betta that she got as a gift and didn't want or care for. It sounds like breeders or small stores are the best way to go for fish. I'm pretty new to this, and everything I know is centered around furry, overpopulated critters.

My two store-bought fish are in their respective tanks now and thankfully seem to be doing well. One is supposed to be something called a dragon betta, but I didn't realize that till I got home, looked at the receipt, and saw he cost more than the other. He certainly doesn't look like any of the dragon bettas I see in online photos. He's also weird for a betta in that he seems to love moving water. I have the output positioned so he can easily avoid it, and he comes up and hangs out in the flow. His name is Kenny, and the regular betta is Cartman. Here's what they look like in their new digs:

Kenny:
h1.jpg
Cartman:
h2.jpg

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I'm feeling more cheerful about the fish today. You can see in the photo that Kenny had clenched fins when I got him. I didn't even know that was a thing; I just thought he was some weird kind of betta, or maybe beaten up. But today he unfurled his fins to show what a gorgeous boy he is, so he must be happy in his new home. I still don't like the fact that I opened up two more slots for bettas at the store, but you'd think they'd stop getting them in since it's obvious people aren't buying them.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
That's good. I'm glad that they are happy.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
Do you have a better pic of the fish? I would love to see them up close :) I have a Half Moon Double Tail Plakat :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
@TwoMissPiggies the camera is on the charger right now (had a full afternoon of taking photos at Disney) but I'll get one tomorrow. Kenny is supposed to be a dragon betta, but he doesn't look like the photos I've seen online so maybe you'll have some insight on what he actually is. His body is light, and his fins are red.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
@TwoMissPiggies the camera is on the charger right now (had a full afternoon of taking photos at Disney) but I'll get one tomorrow. Kenny is supposed to be a dragon betta, but he doesn't look like the photos I've seen online so maybe you'll have some insight on what he actually is. His body is light, and his fins are red.
Hopefully I can be of some help :) I've had a variety of bettas before we moved to TX, now I just have the one (who doesn't have a name :( )

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Hopefully I can be of some help :) I've had a variety of bettas before we moved to TX, now I just have the one (who doesn't have a name :( )
Okay @TwoMissPiggies I got a couple shots of Kenny this morning. Any insight into his type would be appreciated! He's so much more active than my previous betta, and even than Cartman. The little guy is constantly moving all over his tank. He must have been going crazy in that tiny cup in the store:

t1.jpgt2.jpg

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
Okay @TwoMissPiggies I got a couple shots of Kenny this morning. Any insight into his type would be appreciated! He's so much more active than my previous betta, and even than Cartman. The little guy is constantly moving all over his tank. He must have been going crazy in that tiny cup in the store:

View attachment 57210View attachment 57211
I am thinking Half Moon Betta:
https://www.petco.com/product/101885/Male-Halfmoon-Betta.aspx

Or Delta Tail Betta: https://www.petco.com/product/101884/Male-Deltatail-Betta.aspx

Looks like he's not fully grown, or possibly damaged his fins somehow. I hope I helped some :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Thanks @TwoMissPiggies One of my friends thinks half moon too, and he does look a lot like that Petco picture. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his fins got damaged considering the horror of that pet store. With the way they were furled when I got him, I honestly didn't think he had any fancy betta fins at all.

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
My issue with pet stores for fish is that I have come into a pet store before and seen fish stuck in parts of the tank. There were two that were stuck and when I notified the employee, he sort of poked one until it got unstuck, and the other he declared dead. If you buy fish I would definitely go to a place that at least treats them well

I love your fish by the way! I had a betta a few years back that I named bruiser. He lived for a year and a half, when everyone expected him to be gone in no more than a month. I also bought him in a tiny container, with half the fish there looking dead. I hate the idea of pet stores but at the same time I felt so much better giving him a good home. He's buried in a heart shaped box in the backyard.

Good luck with your fish! I love the names (which I'm guessing came from south park)

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
i get my fish from a local kwned pet store. the man there is very nice and knowledgeable on fish care.he charges more for fish, like five dollars for a cardinal tetra instead of 1 at petco. i also got my Betta, Gladyator off of Craigslist. he has bad fins, but he is doing better now. he was nearly dead when i got him, and now he is a fuller fish.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
@jessieisabel yep, they're both South Park names. After my original betta, Gil, but before these two guys I had a betta I named Spookyfish because he lived in the bedroom and loved to stare at me. Alas, I didn't know they're jumpers, and his tank had a large opening so he jumped out and died. I was so upset that I didn't get another one, but when I got these two tanks to test for my pet column I decided it was time. Thus I kept up the South Park name trend.

Bruiser sounds like he was a cutie. My fish are all buried in the yard, too. It's amazing how you can get attached to the little guys. I'm already attached to Kenny because he's right next to the spot where I work all day and he's the most active betta I've ever seen. I like Cartman, too, but he's upstairs and he's a very lazy critter that spends most of his time hanging out in his plant.

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
I had an issue with the jumping too. I had the top opened for feeding time and he jumped out and landed on the ground 2 or 3 feet down. Thankfully he survived. I was shaking like crazy after it happened, I was so worried. He actually lived a few months after that though.
It is amazing how you can get so attached. For a creature that you can't even take out to hold, they're still so lovable.
In fact, this conversation is making me want to get a fish again!

I love the south park names! Just watch out for kenny - that name is a curse haha :p

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
When I worked at the locally owned pet store, we were required to spot clean the tanks by hand daily and do "dead fish checks" multiple times a day. The bettas lived in those horrible little cups but their water was changed 3X's a week. The fish were fed very well and got "treats" (bloodworms, shrimp, etc) as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.