Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Sexing this baby guinea pig- nightmare

Boarsandbeyond

Cavy Slave
So not long ago , we rescued another guinea , we were told it was a boar so after a while we introduced him to our 2 brothers , he was only 4 weeks so they just took him in as their own. They did not fight , it didnt cause trouble and it was brilliant. Them they started humping him which I know was normal , but it seemed a lot so we looked at his genitalia and though it didn't look like the boys so we called the guy and found it to be a sow! Well he was still unsure as he said it looks like a small skin tag . Anyway we are confused as the boys never fought over her if it was a girl , we think they are laid back , either that or the pecking order has been decided and the other brother just doesn't try it with him. But either way we are still confused , I will just upload photos now as my phone is not letting me. Please feel free to give your opinions .

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Looks like a girl to me but you can push on the stomach right above the genitalia and if it is a boy the penis will come out. And if it is a girl....she is probably pregnant. :eye-poppi

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
That looks all girl to me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig -- lots of pictures to compare to. But the acid test is to be able to extrude a penis by pushing with your thumb just above the genital opening. If you still can't figure it out, turn them all over and compare them, then separate by what they look like. Any other considerations of the problems of breeding aside, that sow is too young to have pups even though she's old enough to get pregnant. Don't risk her life and that of the pups by letting her have little ones.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Definitely looks most like a female to me! :)

aeiou

Cavy Slave
That is definitely a female. Will you be giving her away or finding her a friend?
Or I guess you could spay her...and put her with the boys. I normally wouldn't say that but it's a little odd that they didn't fight over her.. If it works you could put them together as long as no one fights.
Of course, sometimes all we want is a reason to get another piggie! :D

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I'd say most definitely female.

Boarsandbeyond

Cavy Slave
Looks like a girl to me but you can push on the stomach right above the genitalia and if it is a boy the penis will come out. And if it is a girl....she is probably pregnant. :eye-poppi
Yeah we did that and nothing comes out just a small skin tag looking thing . I don't think she caught as she was too young and it's been almost 2 weeks and no sign of her getting wider at the hips yet .

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Sows can get pregnant at 4 weeks old

Boarsandbeyond

Cavy Slave
That is definitely a female. Will you be giving her away or finding her a friend?
Or I guess you could spay her...and put her with the boys. I normally wouldn't say that but it's a little odd that they didn't fight over her.. If it works you could put them together as long as no one fights.

Yeah we are just waiting to collect her sister now as she was going to another home but they wold rather is have her as we have re homed them well and she needs a cage mate . Yeah we can't afford to nurture the boys though so need to keep them separate for the moment

Boarsandbeyond

Cavy Slave
Sows can get pregnant at 4 weeks old
Mm lets just hope not , I don't want to put her through that . How long after do they get big ?

Boarsandbeyond

Cavy Slave
Also what do you mean by spray her?

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Mm lets just hope not , I don't want to put her through that . How long after do they get big ?

Yes, lets definitely hope not. And I don't know how long it takes them to show.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also what do you mean by spray her?

It's spay, not spray, and it means to sterilize a female animal so it can't reproduce.

If she is pregnant, you'll notice that she gains weight more quickly than she would otherwise. You would be able to feel the pup(s) kicking at about six weeks, if you put your hands along her sides. About a week before birth, you can hear the pups' teeth gnashing, and her pelvic bones would begin to spread a couple of days before delivery. Guinea pig gestation is 59-72 days, usually much closer to 72.

Boarsandbeyond

Cavy Slave
spaying a female is getting them "fixed" so they can't have babies. Like getting a womans tubes tied.
Oh spaying! Haha , does that cost anything ?

Boarsandbeyond

Cavy Slave
It's spay, not spray, and it means to sterilize a female animal so it can't reproduce.

If she is pregnant, you'll notice that she gains weight more quickly than she would otherwise. You would be able to feel the pup(s) kicking at about six weeks, if you put your hands along her sides. About a week before birth, you can hear the pups' teeth gnashing, and her pelvic bones would begin to spread a couple of days before delivery. Guinea pig gestation is 59-72 days, usually much closer to 72.
Thank you :)

Attachments

image.jpg

Boarsandbeyond

Cavy Slave
She's 5 weeks old now

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

Boarsandbeyond

Cavy Slave
There's just too much fluff to tell !!! Haha

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
she is beautiful but you are right! Can't tell under all that hair!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.