Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Please read! Patches!

Penron

Cavy Slave
Hello!

My guinea pig Clover is very healthy and happy.

However..

She has hairless patches on her shoulders (not the ones behind her ears) where she scratches- some of them have developed scabs and are raw. Whenever I find them I apply Neosporin.

I think the reason for this is that she scratched a small itch which then grew as she scratched it, then developed a scab, and that scab was itchy, so she scratched that- a never ending chain. I could be wrong, but what I want to know is, how do I stop this?

She doesn't have lice or mites.

Please help!

Thank you for reading. Replies highly appreciated! :)
-Penron

How do you know she doesn't have lice or mites?
A guinea pig who scratches until it scabs has some sort of parasite, not just a little itch.

Don't use Neosporin. I she ate it that is very bad. But she could have mites.

You should take her to see the vet. If you do ask if there is any sort of cream to put on her besides Neosporium. If you want her to stop tap her on the nose.

@Sophie060 I really wouldn't suggest hitting or "tapping" your pig for reacting to something that is hurting them, she needs to see a vet to get treated. Poor itchy piggie.

How do you know she doesn't have mites? They are microscopic--you can't see them with the naked eye. A pig with mites itches so badly that she injures herself scratching.
https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

One of my previous piggies had mites and did exactly that -- she scratched until she broke the skin, then she stopped because it hurt... then it started itching again, so she scratched again, and hit the same place and stopped because it hurt... then started itching again... I felt so sorry for her. Poor baby. :( Get Patches to a vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.