Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Please Help Me Choose My New Cage

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
My Christmas gift this year is a new C&C cage for the girls. They're currently in two connected pet store cages which give them 2 1/2 x 3 grids of space, but not continuous (the cages are connected by a ramp).

I'm looking at two cages in the store here. A 2 x 3 should fit in the current space since that's pretty much the footprint I have right now, and I might even be able to do the next size up. I have cats so the cage absolutely must have a cover. I plan to use fabric bedding, as that's what I'm doing now, and it makes cleaning so easy.

Here are the two cages I'm considering:

With loft: Small with Narrow Loft, COVERED - Deluxe Covered Cages - C&C Cages for Guinea Pigs
Without loft: Small (2x3 Grids) Covered - Standard Covered Cages - C&C Cages for Guinea Pigs

I like the loft because the girls each on two shelves (one at each end of the kitchen side of their cage) right now, and I have a water bottle above each shelf. That's really easy to clean and keeps the fabric from getting wet from the bottles.

However, I'm concerned about a loft with a ramp. They weren't initially thrilled about using one to move between their new cages, although they run up and down like pros now (they finally accepted it when I attached a tunnel). I'd like to keep the hay, pellets, and water in the loft and feed veggies on the main level, but I don't want them to eat too little because they don't like the ramp.

Any suggestions or input from those using these types of cages would be appreciated. It's for my two girls who get along pretty good, although they like to have nose battles and rumble. They never bully each other off the food though, although they're not above stealing veggies out of each others' mouths.

You have two pigs, correct?
A 2x3 cage is a bit small for 2 pigs and a loft with a ramp that takes space away. If it's money that's an issue, do you have room for the standard covered 2x4? It's big enough for two pigs and less expensive. Also, do you need a cover? Cause if you dont, that's also less money.

Sorry, didnt read the part about the cats. Yeah, get a covered cage xD

Money is less of an issue than space. Yes, I have two girls, and I definitely need a cover because I have four cats. I didn't plan very well when I first got pigs because I didn't know diddly squat when I got Mufasa, I just kept him in the family room in a pet store cage. Now that I know better, there's only one room in the house with adequate space (used to be my pride-and-joy sitting room...ha! Not anymore! Now it's full of girls, hay, and piggy supplies).

The cabinets I have the cage on might accommodate a 2x4, but probably no larger. I'm considering a bin stand from the store here, but that's starting to get into the pricey zone for me. The pigs definitely have to be up because of the cats, or else they'd have constant kitties sleeping on the cage.

If you're handy, you can make it really inexpensively. I made one 2x4 for $16 and another for $26 when I found 23 grids for $5. I need a new washer and dryer and plan to buy them on sale at Sears and use the "Shop your way to rewards" points towards more grids when they're on sale at Kmart. I check out the prices at competing stores to make sure I'm getting a good deal on what I buy so I come out ahead.

I have a a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft and it is definitely smaller than I would like but we have no space to expand. I will eventually expand to a 2x4 or 2x5 with a loft. It took my girls a few days to adjust to the ramp but when I covered it with a towel, they eventually didn't care. I have the pellets and hay in the loft and I feed their veggies on the main floor. The loft has to be changed at least once during the week cuz that is where they pee/poop the most. Is there any way you can get the 1 level 2x3 and use one of your petstore cages as the kitchen? That way, the ramp won't take away running space (which is does, unfortunately). Or maybe even have 2 kitchens :)
Also, with the smaller 2x3 cage, your best bet for hideys is a fleece forest or fleece curtain so they can run through it. That is what I have and they love to hide and sleep behind it.

I have a a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft and it is definitely smaller than I would like but we have no space to expand. I will eventually expand to a 2x4 or 2x5 with a loft. It took my girls a few days to adjust to the ramp but when I covered it with a towel, they eventually didn't care. I have the pellets and hay in the loft and I feed their veggies on the main floor. The loft has to be changed at least once during the week cuz that is where they pee/poop the most. Is there any way you can get the 1 level 2x3 and use one of your petstore cages as the kitchen? That way, the ramp won't take away running space (which is does, unfortunately). Or maybe even have 2 kitchens :)
Also, with the smaller 2x3 cage, your best bet for hideys is a fleece forest or fleece curtain so they can run through it. That is what I have and they love to hide and sleep behind it.
Oh, and I forgot to add that they have a twig tunnel from petsmart as a hidey too. They run through it more than sleep under it though.

I have 2 pigs, they were originally in a 2x3 which I thought was fine, then I wanted to build a loft. After I did I realised how cramped it actually was and expanded to a 2x4. Is there any way you can do a 2x4 with a loft?

Personally I find having a loft great, I use it as a kitchen area so there's no hay or food down the bottom. My guys took to a ramp straight away and don't hesitate to use it because there food is up there. If you do the same with your pigs you'll probably find they use it - after all, pigs love food.

So I have a question, I have a 2x3 CC Cage that I bought from the site and then I bought a dining room table (at Walmart) large enough to accomodate the cage. IF I were to expand my cage to make it able to fit another pig, can you just add more of the grids to what you already have? What about the lid? And what would I be able to keep it on because I can't buy another big dining room table. How do most people set them up? Are they on the floor?

If you can handle a 2x4, I'd definitely go for that, because it's just enough space even with no loft. If you are concerned about price (especially as you add on more stuff like a roof), maybe you can go for alternatives? I just found this other thread about covers, and one of the posters said she used shelving racks from Lowe's. I bought a coroplast sheet from a sign-a-rama store for about $21, and I had extra grids from my mom that she couldn't use as shelves b/c she ran out of connectors.

If you want to go for a loft, I'm guessing once the piggies understand there's food up there, and you make the ramp more like a tunnel, they'll get used to it.

I like the idea of the all inclusive kit, so I'm fine with paying a little more to have everything we need. Space is the main concern, but I'm planning to move my bird into the pig room, so maybe I'll attempt a major changing around of things in there. I wouldn't mind having extra space in the cage if I can figure out where to put it, just in case I ever get tempted to adopt a third pig (almost did yesterday, but he turned out to be a boar).

It is really hard to say whats better for your space as we cannot really tell how big your cage could be. I have two girls,and have had every size possible with and without lofts. A 2x4 is very small after adding all their stuff and them. I think if you had the room a 2x5 would be just enough room. I had a 2x7 at one time, it was alot of room but they didnt even use alot of the cage. I mean they are either in kitchen area or hiding out right. So with that in mind I had built a 2x5 with a 2x2 loft. The 2x2 loft was awesome for them both to be up there at the same time without squabbles. and then had a whole 2x5 to run. It was a bit hard at the time because of space and where we had to have the cage. Cleaning was a bit much for both of these cages.

I now have a 2x5 one floor c and c cage and its just enought room for them to run laps and have their kitchen area and sleep areas. You just have to make the inside area so its easy for laps and running. These people with huge cages I give them credit to the cleaning. my 2x5 is enough for the pigs and me in terms of cleaning.

Please Help Me Choose My New CagePlease Help Me Choose My New CagePlease Help Me Choose My New Cage

I like that! The current cages are on four of those big plastic three-drawer cabinets you get at Target, although they're two different styles so one cage is just a bit higher than the other. A 2x4 or 2x5 would overlap the cabinets, so I'd have to get a base. I'm going to measure in there and see how I could move the furniture around. Right now it's got a huge cat tree, futon, curio, and small shelf. The furniture pretty much has to stay in there, and the windows and french doors limit my options. I'll take a photo and post it later or tomorrow so y'all can see what I'm talking about with the two cages on the drawers.

Yes please do post pictures... I love designing cages. maybe eaiser to buy the supplies and build it yourself in case you need to do l shapes or something.

You could sell the futon and shelf and use that money to help with cage stuff.

Okay, here are photos, and please keep in mind that I'm moving my bird in there too (not sure where yet). He's a quaker parrot, but his cage is a really large finch flight cage, so he's going to take up a good chunk of room. I shot the room from all angles so you can see the windows and French doors. The cat perch has to stay by the window because it's their favorite hangout spot.

Attachments

DSCN1798.jpg DSCN1800.jpg DSCN1802.jpg DSCN1803.jpg DSCN1804.jpg
Can you post a picture for the other side of the futon? What's on the left of the futon? And the wall on the left side of the futon?

Your room looks pretty big to me. I've fit a 2x7 cage into a one bedroom apartment (700 sq.ft) with 4 humans, and turned that into 3 bedroom area.

Please Help Me Choose My New Cage

If you measure all your furniture and the room, you can play around with the layout before you do the heavy lifting.
Create floor plans, house plans and home plans online with Floorplanner.com

I think this is your room layout.

Here are some recommendations.
Option 1: 2x5 C&C
The green thing on the corner is the bird cage. Not sure how big your bird cage is, this one is 32x22 inches.

Option 2: 2x6 C&C

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get the large cage with 2x2 loft from guinea pig zone.its great and has a nice price compared to pet store cages.

Option 3:
2x5 C&C
Keep the French door closed on one side.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.