Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat How long does this last?

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
This is my first time having a pair of female piggies [that have been sexed by a cavy savvy vet]. I adopted them about three and a half weeks ago, so that makes them about 4 months and a week or so old. I'm pretty sure that Cupcake (my dominant girl) is in heat, because she's been extra moody and has been rumblestrutting around and trying to mount her sister. She also freaks out when she's getting pet, either not wanting to be touched, or flattening out and sticking her bum up in the air. I know they do this every two weeks or so, but I tried looking around on other sites and on guinea lynx, and I can't seem to come across how long piggies stay in heat.

Dot seems absolutely exasperated with being chased around the cage all day, and keeps having that "You do know I am, in fact, your sister and not a boar, right?" look on her face.

What are all of your experiences with how long sows stay in heat?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A day or so. We usually get one day of rumbling, and that's about it.

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
That's good to know. Cupcake seems a bit better, but I think her sister is starting on her now. It's a relief to know it won't last days on end!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yeah, about a day. I have a neutered boar and a sow. When my sow goes into heat, we usually have one rough night with tons of rumbling and sexy times. Thankfully it only lasts one night and then they're calm again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.