Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Piggy bedspreads vs cage liners

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I've been using piggy bedspreads, but these ones have taken a bit of a beating and are look a little old. So I'm weighing up my options;
- Disposable bedding - have used carefresh for the past week and it has been fantastic but is very costly - $40 for 2 cages.
- Cage liners - have never used these before
- Bedspreads - get a good time between each clean but find it a bit difficult to install in cages.

Does any one have any preferences?

I use fleece cage liners I made myself. They have been working very well for me.

I just ordered my first fleece cage liner to try out. Right now I use towels and clip fleece down. I'm going to see if my Numa baby will burrow. Piggiebedspreads is more expensive, but their liners fit over the coroplast walls.

My fleece liner that doesn't fit over the sides was 60 bucks, piggiebedspreads of the same size is 69. So not a huge difference in price, but they make things to order I think. I have no patience. :p

If your pigs don't burrow, fleece liners without sides would be good because you just roll it up and replace. I have to move the cube grids off before I can change my fleece now which I don't care too much about.

Disposable bedding is pricey. I much rather pay a larger upfront cost to save money over time. Some people have tons of money, no shame in that, and you may prefer to just do disposable. It's worth a try at least.

No input here, but I just wanted to add that this is my first time hearing of piggiebedspreads.com and they just informed me that piggies see in color! No way! This, I did not know :)
Good luck on your quest!

I made/sewed my own cage liners. Fleece and a towel, super easy and much cheaper.

I sewed my own liners for use in another cage, but my problem was that the poop would get down between the liner and the coro. PITA bc I had to sweep the fleece, then sweep the coro, it was just annoying.

Now I've been clipping fleece over towels. I bit more work to change, but no piggie can decide to hide underneath, everything stays on top, and easy to change the stuff out.

piggy bed spread i have and i love them they last so long compare to having to keep buying new bedding tht they will go through quickly! my opion is that bedspreads are so money savers and work amazing!

I use piggy bedspreads and looooove them!! They are my miracle find. I don't find it too difficult to instal but then again your cage may be different from mine. If the side walls are making difficult you can alwas ask martha to make them for you without.

I made fleece pads with fleece on two sides and uhaul padding in between. I prefer these over the ones with a water proof bottom layer because it traps the moisture. I put a single layer of uhaul pads under my pads and sometimes they're damp, other times no, but it keeps the fleece pads dry.

i think i know, but just to clarify - what exactly is the difference between bedspreads and cage liners?

i think i know, but just to clarify - what exactly is the difference between bedspreads and cage liners?

Piggy Bedspread is more like a brand name. The way it's sewn is that it has fleece that goes up the sides and cover the coroplast walls.

Cage liners can be referred to other brands that don't have sides. People who sew their own also refer to them as cage liners.

@beachgurl_1988, since you can sew, you can always sew fleece to the sides to cover the walls. That would probably solve your issues.

@beachgurl_1988 , since you can sew, you can always sew fleece to the sides to cover the walls. That would probably solve your issues.

Yes, I could do that....but I do have a hard time sewing in a straight line too haha.

If I win the lottery tonight I won't have any problems because I will be investing some of my millions in some piggie bedspreads ROFLMBO

LOL I was just thinking if I win the lotto, I would buy bedspreads. I too cannot sew straight!

xixiix, I never buy lottery tickets, but this time I got 5 of them :cool: If I win, I'll buy 10 sets of bedspreads :p

I made my own fleece coverlets (as I call them) that go over the sides of the coroplast, because I have some chronic burrowers. I use cotton mattress protectors/toppers as the absorbent layer underneath the coverlets, but the fleece + absorbent layer is separate. This works for me.

I use 2 layers of towels and a layer of fleece over the towels. So far it works wonderfully for my 3 boars. I change it out once per week and their cage never smells. I use a litter box under their hay racks which cuts down on the poop/pee on the fleece.

Not to jack the thread- but how do you install the sides of the piggy bedspread over the coroplast sides? Do you have to take apart your cage each time?!

I have fleece, I have a sewing machine (I'm trying to figure out what do do for the middle layer - towels or uhaul pad or PUL) but I can't sew a straight line to save my life so I'm still thinking about buying the pre-made ones...if they're not a huge pain in the butt!!

If you go to the site, there is a video you can watch.

You don't have to take the whole cage apart, you just lay it out and bring the 12inch peice of fleece over the coroplast. You may have to like, move your hayrack or waterbottles etc, but that should be the extent.

Or maybe if your coroplast is like, tight against the cubes, it may require a little more wriggling- but other than that

(I'm trying to figure out what do do for the middle layer - towels or uhaul pad or PUL)

Don't use PUL. It will not work as an absorbent layer since it is made from plastic. It works good as a bottom layer for lap pads to keep from getting your lap wet. I have also used it as an inner water proof layer for back packs, wet sacks and lunch boxes. Towels, uhaul pads or mattress pads make good choices for an inner layer. :)

I have a feeling that the u-Haul pads will disintegrate very quickly if not encased in the fleece.

I've been using my uhaul pads without encasing (too lazy to sew lol) for over a year and it has been fine. There were lots of lint for the first few washes but now I rarely see the lint from the pads, more hair from the pigs on the lint trap.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.