Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Pig clicking his teeth?

JJones

Cavy Slave
My 12 month male pig has been clicking his teeth a lot. He does it all the time, alone in his cage or out and being petted. His teeth look fine.

What does this mean?

I would also like to know what this means. I caught Tinker doing it today. So far it has only been once but I'd still like to know.

He is probably wearing down his teeth. Or he is in a little bit of a bad mood and dosn't want to be bothered. Most likely grinding down his teeth

Usually that's an "I'm annoyed" or "leave me alone" sound. Is he alone or does he have a cagemate?

Guineapigpigs, guinea pigs do not wear their teeth down by grinding them together. The hay that they need all the time is what does that.

@JJones

That sound is Teeth Chattering.

It is a sound that your Guinea Pig makes when annoyed, scared, or hears an unusual sound (loud, screechy, or just a sound they haven't heard before)

He does it when you are petting him, you said, so that is probably annoying him a bit. Is he an Abyssinian? You have to be careful when handling/petting them. If you don't pet them in the direction that the fur naturally flows, it can be very uncomfortable for the Piggie.

Hope I helped!

ALSO: It isn't probably a good sign that he does it all the time. You need to check into it and do what you can to get him to stop, as it means he could feel threatened, which will eventually lead to stress which isn't at all good for Piggies.

Last edited:
I've recently read that tooth clicking can be a sign of problems with the molars. Investigating that means a good exotic vet with dentistry experience and a lightly anesthetized pig. You absolutely can't tell whether a pig has tooth problems by just looking at their mouth or their front teeth -- the molars are too far back and there's too much junk in the mouth. Also, problems with the incisors are usually the result of problems with the molars.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.