Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Chaz has a pimple/scab near his nose.

Momotaro

Cavy Slave
Hi there I'm new to the forum, and a new cavy owner. I have a couple of boars and one of them (Chaz) has this pimple and/or scab next to his nose. Chaz is usually on the receiving end of Ginger's attempt to mount, and sometimes fights back, so it could be a scratch that is healing but I'm worried that it might be something more serious that shouldn't go untreated. The area looks dry and like a scab but with a small pimple in the middle. (see pics below) I have touched it and it doesn't appear to be painful or sensitive to touch.

Just looking for some general advise and wondering if I should have cause for concern. Thanks!
Chaz has a pimple/scab near his nose.
Chaz has a pimple/scab near his nose.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am no expert at cavy medical problems, but from the pictures it looks fungal to me.
Here's a link with info on fungus and treatment: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html If it is a fungal infection, but very careful because it is contagious.
Hopefully someone else will chip in soon with other ideas!

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I agree, definitely looks like a fungus, and the nose is a common spot. The link ellisa gave you should answer any questions.

Momotaro

Cavy Slave
Great. I'll see if I can track down some cream. I'll continue to keep the cage clean and see how it goes...

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Be careful when handling your pig, and separate Chaz if the others aren't showing signs of infection, as this is highly infectious to both you and the other pigs. I would wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt when handling him, and wash up and change between handling him and the other pigs.

petgal49

Cavy Slave
How do pigs get fungus I am wondering?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@petgal49 If you look at the link I posted above it says how they can get fungal infections. High heat and humidity levels, dirty cage conditions, stress, diet, genetics, crowding, age, external parasites, age, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.