Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Guenia pig having runny nose

Gugaga pigas

Cavy Slave
Hello there!

The thing is, one year ago i bought 3 piggies (not from pet stores) and one of them is constantly sick, she is having a runny nose, which isnt every day, it comes and goes away and so again.

I went to different vets, the one i visied wasnt very professional and i didnt like them, since they gave my piggy antibiotics, and after antibiotics my poggy started having a bad diarrhea, after that i visited different vet which helped with her diarrhea, and it stopped.
Then after some couple of months she started having runny nose again, what lasted for a day and then it went away and then after some more days it started again. Vet suggested that i should wash piggy bedding (linen) with washing powder what is for babies, without any smell or anything, since vet thought maybe its because she has alergy from something..
And so on i have no idea whats wrong with my piggy.

Yesterday she had runny nose too and plus i could hear that weird noise, it was like her nose was stuffed and she lifted her head while Blowing her nose. I kept her in my lap, šo she warms up, and after some time she was felling fine. Today shes felling perfectly normal, eating, drinking water, running and jumping around with her sisters. The other piggies dont have any of theese problems, although week ago other pig had the sams problem, but it happend just once.

I was wondering if any of you had the same problem with runny nose?
Maybe somebody can give tips or anything.

Im planning to visit vet again soon when ill have money...

Thank you for listening!

Attachments

20230303_153324.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is her hay dusty? Does she live where an outsize breeze could bring dust into her environment?

Gugaga pigas

Cavy Slave
Is her hay dusty? Does she live where an outsize breeze could bring dust into her environ
Hmm, hay i buy from my local store, and its a bit dusty ive noticed that.
Is there a way to make it less dusty?😁

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In a pinch, you can rinse it to get the dust off. But then you can't leave it in the cage very long, because it will mold and make her really sick.

The best thing to do is to buy better hay. Online hay tends to be better than anything you can buy in a local store, and in addition, is WAAAAYY cheaper. I had very good luck with American Pet Diner and Small Pet Select.

Gugaga pigas

Cavy Slave
In a pinch, you can rinse it to get the dust off. But then you can't leave it in the cage very long, because it will mold and make her really sick.

The best thing to do is to buy better hay. Online hay tends to be better than anything you can buy in a local store, and in addition, is WAAAAYY cheaper. I had very good luck with American Pet Diner and Small Pet Select.
Thank you! Ill try to look in online stores for better hay.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
What I have done with dusty hay is take it outside, transfer it to a large box or container, and then fluff it up and shake to get some of the dust out.

You could also try Oxbow Timothy Stacks. It is more expensive, but it is compressed and packaged to be less dusty and to stay fresh. This is my guinea pig’s favorite.

Gugaga pigas

Cavy Slave
What I have done with dusty hay is take it outside, transfer it to a large box or container, and then fluff it up and shake to get some of the dust out.

You could also try Oxbow Timothy Stacks. It is more expensive, but it is compressed and packaged to be less dusty and to stay fresh. This is my guinea pig’sfavorite
thank you, im gonna try it!
Talking about this hay, Can you get it from online store? :0