Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Food problem

mefingas

Cavy Slave
I know that cavy cuisine is the best food for guinea pigs. And that is what up till now my pigs eat. But the place were I get there food is an hour away and it seems like I wont be able to make a trip up there for a month. They are running low on their food and I was wondering what the second best food to get them to tide them over till I can get them cavy cuisine. I know that I can buy their food online but the place I go to you can get 10 lbs for $11 including tax. I cant find the food anywhere that cheap. Any help would be great. I am still trying to find a way to make a trip up there but I want a back up plan. Thanks.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Have you tried this place? (broken link removed)

If you order from https://theferretstore.com/ there is free shipping when you order $35 worth of stuff.

Maybe order in bulk. If you need another option, I can think of Kaytee Timothy Complete, which unfortunetilly has ethoxyquin in it. You need to introduce the pellets gradually, so it needs to be mixed with the Oxbow at first.

mefingas

Cavy Slave
I know about the ferret store that is where I got my food first and it took more then 2 weeks to recieve. Plus it is $19 for 10 lbs when I only pay $9 so... I would rather be spening more on veggies for them. What about lab diet? They have that at my feed store near where I live.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Can you find the ingrediants?

mefingas

Cavy Slave
I looked online and this is what I found:Dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground corn, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, wheat middlings, ground soybean hulls, cane molasses, animal fat preserved with BHA, dicalcium phosphate, ground wheat, dried whey, calcium carbonate, salt, magnesium oxide, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), DL-methionine, choline chloride, folic acid, cholecalciferol, vitamin A acetate, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate, calcium pantothenate, thiamin mononitrate, nicotinic acid, cyanocobalamin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, sodium selenite, copper sulfate, ferrous carbonate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, cobalt carbonate, zinc sulfate, zinc oxide
Doesn't sound that great. I may just try to make a trip up, even if that means they have to go a day or so without pellets if need be.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
mefingas said:
I looked online and this is what I found:Dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground corn, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, wheat middlings, ground soybean hulls, cane molasses, animal fat preserved with BHA, dicalcium phosphate, ground wheat, dried whey, calcium carbonate, salt, magnesium oxide, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), DL-methionine, choline chloride, folic acid, cholecalciferol, vitamin A acetate, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate, calcium pantothenate, thiamin mononitrate, nicotinic acid, cyanocobalamin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, sodium selenite, copper sulfate, ferrous carbonate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, cobalt carbonate, zinc sulfate, zinc oxide
Doesn't sound that great. I may just try to make a trip up, even if that means they have to go a day or so without pellets if need be.

There are probably other things wrong with it but those are 2 of the 3 that I look for when picking out food. At least it doesn't have ethoxoquin.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Lab diet is a big NO. Ground corn and animal fat. Pigs are strict herbivores meaning no meat or animal products in their food. Mefingas, your pigs would be ok for a day without pellets if you give them extra veggies and make the trip to get the better food.

mefingas

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks. I was planning on just giving them extra veggies if they have to go a day without pellets. My husband may not like having to make a unplanned trip but oh well.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They can do without pellets. Just up the hay and veggies. Pellets are the least important part of the diet.

mefingas

Cavy Slave
Which is good! I think we are going to have to delay the trip at least a day because my husband got injured at work last night. Nothing serious but he should keep it slow for a few days. Thanks again for all your help.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I hope your husband is ok.

mefingas

Cavy Slave
Thanks Ly. My husband will be okay, hopefully he wont need stitches. Thanks for your concern. My husband really wants to see star wars so I told him we could go as long as the next day we can go get the pigs their pellets. hehe it worked. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.