Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) I don't know what to do help!

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
WAAAAAAAAA I don't know what to do! I'm in school holidays know and I have been considering getting 2 young guinea pigs. I have been contacting my local shelter and they keep giving away the guinea pigs that I want. I have done heaps of reaserch and know my stuff. I just don't know whether to risk 2 guinea pigs just popping out of no where and into my life, or to get it from a breeder. I need them in the next 2 weeks other wise, no pigs for me. :eek:hmy:

HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shivra

Cavy Slave
Could you possibly write out your post a little better? Why do you only have two weeks to get pigs? Did you fill out the adoption applications prior to visiting a shelter? Have you set up your cage yet, or done any preparations for them?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't understand why you need them within the next two weeks. Is it a matter of not having time after your holiday? Please explain.

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
Please don't get them from a breeder or petstore.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
:eek: sorry! should have done it better. I only have 2 weeks because im in high school and i have no time to be driving around for 3 hours (the closest shelter is far away) I did fill out the forms and I was in constant contact with the lady over there. I have absolutly EVERYTHING I need including: food bowl, water bottle, c and c cage, bedding, pellets, toys, brush, shampoo, hidey houses. and fresh vegies and some fruit.

The breeder I am thinking of getting them from is experianced and knows what he is doing. I REFUSE TO BUY FROM PET SHOPS If I could, I would steal all the pigs in pet shops all over the world and give them a better life.

Sorry for the non discriptive post...:ashamed:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Don't buy from a breeder. If you keep looking, you might find some closer to where you are.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
:( There is no where closer. I have been looking into adopting for about a year now and people keep adopting them before me lol

Cogni

Cavy Slave
It is frustrating, I'm sure. But sometimes life is like that. You won't get much sympathy here if you buy from a breeder to suit your personal time constraints. Why don't you try looking on a local website where people buy, sell, and trade - I don't know if there is something like Craigslist.com in Oz, or like the NZ site trademe.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
There are ones like that but the shelters never use them.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
WAAAAAAAAA I just don't know whether to risk 2 guinea pigs just popping out of no where and into my life, or to get it from a breeder.

Has someone been telling you, by any chance, that pigs from a breeder are somehow safer or healthier because you know the breeder, vs. pigs from elsewhere that are "just popping out of nowhere" into your life? Not true. Homeless pigs from a shelter make fine pets and so do pigs from trader-style lists (unless a breeder is selling them on there). It is really bad to support breeders, who are the source of all the homeless pets.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
You don't understand! What I mean by "popping out of no where and into my live" is:
The guinea pig shelter currently has no young guinea pigs up for adoption. The volenteers there told me that it is always so unpredictable as to when and what guinea pigs will come next. <<< That is why I said that.
The last thing I want to do is go to a breeder. For all I know, the guinea pigs at the shelters are healthier than others because they have had medical checks and they are monitered and house correctly.
I never said that breeders were better than shelters. Shelters are better than breeders.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
We have other members here from Oz so maybe someone could direct you to a shelter. Also try guinealynx.info for adoptables or post a question there. Thats the best medical site for guinea pigs.

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
No matter how much the breeder knows about guinea pigs, there is no such thing as a good or responsible breeder. This is because if they actually wanted or cared for what the animal needed or wanted then they wouldn't be breeding their animal at all.

Maybe wait until your long vacation to adopt your next guinea pig? I know you want them right away, but waiting for them is better than getting them from a breeder.

I hope your nearest shelter saves you some pigs! I got lucky and have a large small animal rescue right near me! Good luck!

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Lol I'm not quite that lucky. I've tried to be as patient as possible by waiting a year but I guess I could wait some more. I will definately take your advice Onetwo!

Thanks all! I shall wait untill I can adopt. That is where my heart is anyway.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Well you still have 2 weeks this year so maybe you WILL get lucky. I wish you good luck in getting piggies this year from a shelter/rescue or from a person having to rehome them and listing them on a local website.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
I will post pictures when I eventually get them!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
:eek: sorry! should have done it better. I only have 2 weeks because im in high school and i have no time to be driving around for 3 hours (the closest shelter is far away) :ashamed:

I'm sorry, I'm still not understanding why this means you have only two weeks to adopt some pigs. What happens in two weeks that changes causing you to not be able to get pigs?

Adoptable pigs are worth waiting for. There's nothing saying you HAVE TO have them right now or even at all, really. Patience is the key. Good things, as they say, come to those who wait.

Hamtaro_bijou

Cavy Slave
Hi (broken link removed)

I know this is a week old post, but I just wanted to say that if you want to adopt there are a lot of adoption websites. Have you tried Petfinder.com or some re-homing websites. Many of these websites list places like shelters that have guinea pigs to adopt, and some list people that need to re-home their pets because they can't keep them any longer.

Although I do think that breeders are not the best option, I don't think that it is right that every one is 'attacking' you about it. Lets just say that it is better to adopt because you are helping an animal that has suffered and are going to give it a new point of view on life.
But really if you think about it, I know that buying from pet stores and breeders supposedly 'motivates' these places to continue breeding animals, but if no one ever took these animals away from these places, they would have to die or be put down, and some one has to give this animals a better life than those small glass cages right?

Also some pet stores like some Petcos (or some other stores in your area) are actually ok with their animals. They even have adoption Saturdays, and Sundays so if you want to go check out the adoptable pigs in your area you should check out their websites for "adoptable critters weekends"

Good luck on your search!

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Getting them from a breeder is like them from a pet store. (that's where pet stores get piggy's from)

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
I really agree to looking at sites. Many of people, including me, have rescued guinea from others. Many people can't care or just don't want their pet anymore but they don't want to take them to a shelter so they keep it but neglect it. Lots of pets need saving, even if they aren't in a shelter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.