Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Candy & Floss; New Guinea Pigs x

Millieex

Cavy Slave
Hi, Im Millie, A little about me i'm a devoted vegetarian & Newbie pet owner. I have recently adopted two baby guinea pigs around 3 months, they are two sows: Candy & Floss. Candy is short haired, ginger & white. She is very cute with a cute nose and quite a flat face rather than pointed. Floss is medium haired, i do not know whether pure or cross bread, so breed is kind of unknown. She is ginger all over and don't we all known it, she is cheeky & fiery. I love them both to bits.

I have been having a few little problems, a visit to the vets on the first day. For an eye infection for Candy. Now floss is sneezing and seems to be shedding a lot of fur & has a few thinner patches. :confused: :confused::confused:

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
WELCOME Millie !! :)

Hello there ! Kudo's to you for adopting your piggies ! So sorry that right off the bat you are having to deal with sick piggies. First, I would like to give you a link that you can "click" out that so many of us use and appreciate. Ly& Pigs made this awesome "day to day" sample diet menu that I have found invaluable in taking care of my two girls. Here it is below:

(broken link removed)
menus.html

And here is her nutrition chart and poisonous plants list below:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Have you built them a proper sized cage yet ? Here is the page where you can ( it our home page, but wasn't sure if you took notice or not) check out cage size requirements below:

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

For two girls you need at least 10.5 sq.ft. which is 30"x50" which is a 2x4 c&c cage. But if you can go bigger, it is so much better, in the long run you would not regret it !
It sounds like Floss may have mites. If Floss has mites, you can rest assure that Candy has them too ! Check out this link from the medical experts that we all on here love and trust for excellent accurate information. Here is the link below:

https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

You will need to take Floss to the vet I am afraid ! Ask for Invermectin, which is the medicine that they both will need, to be effectively treated for mites. I wish your piggies well, and keep us posted about how they are doing, o.k. ? Please take Floss in to be treated and let us know what your Vet had to say ! Warm wishes and prayers for your piggies, and for you ! Have a great day !

Last edited:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to also tell you that the symptoms you described Floss having could be any number of things...from fungal infections, URI, or mange mites...here is another guinea lynx link to look at and see for yourself what her symptoms mostly match up with, for you are the best judge of that since she is with you.

Most importantly, make sure to take her to your Vet asap and make sure that your Vet is a cavvy savvy one, an "exotics" Vet. ( An exotics Vet is someone who specializes in the treatment of small animals). Anyhooo...here is the other link I thought would be beneficial to you right now, below:

https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html#shedding

Last edited:

Millieex

Cavy Slave
I brought them from pets at home, there were no animals for adoption or rehoming near where i live xxx

Millieex

Cavy Slave
WELCOME Millie !! :)

Hello there ! Kudo's to you for adopting your piggies ! So sorry that right off the bat you are having to deal with sick piggies. First, I would like to give you a link that you can "click" out that so many of us use and appreciate. Ly& Pigs made this awesome "day to day" sample diet menu that I have found invaluable in taking care of my two girls. Here it is below:

(broken link removed)
menus.html

And here is her nutrition chart and poisonous plants list below:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Have you built them a proper sized cage yet ? Here is the page where you can ( it our home page, but wasn't sure if you took notice or not) check out cage size requirements below:

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

For two girls you need at least 10.5 sq.ft. which is 30"x50" which is a 2x4 c&c cage. But if you can go bigger, it is so much better, in the long run you would not regret it !
It sounds like Floss may have mites. If Floss has mites, you can rest assure that Candy has them too ! Check out this link from the medical experts that we all on here love and trust for excellent accurate information. Here is the link below:

https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

You will need to take Floss to the vet I am afraid ! Ask for Invermectin, which is the medicine that they both will need, to be effectively treated for mites. I wish your piggies well, and keep us posted about how they are doing, o.k. ? Please take Floss in to be treated and let us know what your Vet had to say ! Warm wishes and prayers for your piggies, and for you ! Have a great day !

Wow Thanks. I took them to the vets and they have been on antibiotics for the past five days. xx

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Then you did not adopt? You bought them. Submit the vet bill to the pet store since they sold you sick pigs as usual.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Awww Candy and Floss sound adorable!! I hope they get better soon:)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new pigs but it was indeed buying, not adopting. The money you spent for them goes back into the pet store which funds breeding mills. Adoption fees go toward vet bills and the care of the pigs in the shelter or rescues.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Looks like I did not read your post as carefully as maybe I should have. Please do not say "adopt" when indeed they were "bought" from a pet store. That is not something I wish to celebrate or endorse !

Before I came here I did not know about all the atrocities behind the closed doors of pet stores and breeding mills. I also spent very little, if any, time on the computer. I wish I had known better, for I too, am guilty of purchasing pet store piggies. Since learning all of these things, I know I would never, ever, purchase any animal from a pet store again.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Looks like I did not read your post as carefully as maybe I should have. Please do not say "adopt" when indeed they were "bought" from a pet store. That is not something I wish to celebrate or endorse !

Before I came here I did not know about all the atrocities behind the closed doors of pet stores and breeding mills. I also spent very little, if any, time on the computer. I wish I had known better, for I too, am guilty of purchasing pet store piggies. Since learning all of these things, I know I would never, ever, purchase any animal from a pet store again.

I think many are, which is why this site is so great, it educates people about their pets and if they end up not knowing, it's due to ignorance and not lack of information available. I too am guilty, but my opinion has changed, and while I feel very bad for those piggies in stores I would wait as long as necessary before I bought a pig from anywhere, and adopted. Unfortunately I have to already give them my money for food and bedding :grumpy:

Back to the OP, I would take the vet bill to this store you bought them from and demand they pay it for selling you ill animals. Then avoid buying another animal again. If the place is considerably dirty or the animals just seem ill at a glance, call and report them and they would be investigated and, best case scenario, no longer be allowed to sell animals.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Thankyou Kathlarron for your helpful post!! I bought my two girls from the petstore and I knew that they probably weren't getting the best care in the world but I didn't know that they were getting their animals from breeding mills and that that's where all the money went. I want to get a third piggie and was already thinking about adopting and after finding out what petstores are really like I'm definetly going to adopt. Thanks again for the helpful info:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.