Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Pierre with malocclusion

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
What a week, well two.

On September 27 I took Pierre to the vet because I noticed he wasn't eating properly. I noticed that he wanted to eat and before I was able to make it to the vet I started hand feeding him. I also noticed that he had crusty eyes and nose.

When we got to the vet they did an exam and felt that his main problem was his teeth. They sedated him and checked his teeth. His molars had grown all the way accross his tongue and were touching. They trimmed his molars at that time and sent me home with antibiotics and critical care.

Between working full time and paramedic school I have hardly any time off. My mom and boyfriend have been so helpful with this that I am grateful. When I am working they take turns coming over and hand feed him. He has still lost weight even with all our efforts. At this time he is practically skin and bones.

Today, two weeks later, we were at the vet again. He hasn't ate a thing on his own. Poor little guy wants to but just can't seem to do it.

Today I saw a different vet at the same facility, it's strictly an exotic clinic, no cats no dogs. The vet sedated him after seeing his incisors which were very over grown and curved laterally. She trimmed his incisors and molars once again.

The vet says that this will be an ongoing problem and from what I have researched I'm pretty sure it will be.

He still has a lot of spunk in him so I'm not even considering euthanasia at the moment. When feeding him critical care he eats the whole darn 30cc's with hardly any waste.

Anyone have any advice for this type of situation or anything that might possibly make life easier for him? I just want him to be able to eat. I feel so bad seeing him sit in front of the pellet dish not able to get any.

How long till I should see him eating on his own?

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I'm not familiar with malocclusions but how much Critical Care are you feeding him daily? And have you tried putting it in a bowl for him?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
30cc's of critcal care twice a day. He eats the critcal care with no problem.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
If he eats it out of a bowl with no problem maybe you could sprinkle a few pellets on top and that would make it easier for him? Again I'm not sure if this will work, just brainstorming.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Sometimes there is something else wrong, which causes the pig not to eat which in turn causes the teeth problems. Other times the jaw muscles are too weak for the pig to adequately chew--in which case a chin sling may work (search on Guinea Lynx for info).

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I've looked at the chin sling info.

I did not mention this on guinealynx or here, but the vet said that his case is difficult because his jaw is all jacked up. His poor jaw isn't even shapped well and is a congenital problem. Because of that do you think a chin sling would probably be most appropriate for him?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Sadly I lost Pierre today.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.