Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size I'm rebuilding and would like some thoughts

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
My boys have always been in a 2x4.5 C&C with a 2x2 2nd story kitchen. When I added the girls, one of them came with a 2x4 C&C that the girls share. The boys are in the family room and the girls in my office.

My idea is it to build a 3 story cage on a stand to combine both sets of piggies in one huge cage. The girls will have the top, the boys the bottom and the middle will have separate kitchens for both sets.

I have a few questions and thoughts that I would like to hear opinions on. I have room for either a 2x 4.5 (a 2x5 will be in the way of the closet door) or a 3x3. The square footage is identical, but I think I remember somebody saying that wider is better for running around. Which one do you think is the better alternative? The ramps would be in the middle in either cage, unless somebody can tell me how to build an enclosed outside ramp (dogs in the house).

Also, does anybody have experience with piggies (boys and girls) sharing a wall? I can leave space between the kitchens or make them maximum size with a dividing wall? Would they be at this wall all the time to get to each other?

Is coroplast available wide enough for a 3x3 or do I have to piece it together?

Lastly, will the stand support all the weight and will the floors from grids be strong enough to hold all the weight? If not, what can I do to support the grids without putting support walls into the cages?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Lucky little piggies. We used broom poles stretched from one end of the cage to the other to support the second story. We then tied them to the floor above, I am not sure if you can see from my picture. I will take another on the weekend so you may be able to see easier. The poles actually stick out on each side of the cage by an inch and we tied those down too and the second floor is very sturdy. We used ramps from one story to the next that we can lift up for easing cleaning. I just rescued a new piggie and there is a grid between them but it is not a support wall. I am still introducing them and there is alot of teeth chattering going on so we shall see if that grid can ever come down as they do like each other and sleep bum to bum on each side of the grid and talk to each other but one is trying to let the other know he's boss. Hope this helps, the second floor doesn't budge with those poles so it works great!

Thanks for your reply, I will most likely buy wooden dowels to support the cage with.

I'm still considering the outside ramp. I was thinknig about overlapping four grids (2x2) and bending them into a U-shape. If I attach them with zip ties on the bottom and hooks on the top, I can fold them down to remove dirty towels or fleece every week. Has anybody done this or has a better idea?

I have decided to stay with the 2x4.5 design because the boys are fine and the girls will even get a size upgrade. I basically have the bottom of the cage already build and will save time and money (new coroplast and fleece). Adding the ramp on the outside will give even more space inside.

Also, I forgot to ask, do your multilevel cages open on the front so the coro can be slid out and cleaned? I figured that would be easiest.

My coro does not slide out. It is sealed with wide tape on the inside so I just spray it with vinegar and wipe it down and I have had the new cage for over a month and it is still very clean and very easy to change the fleece and bedding I use underneath. :)

Thanks for the pictures lissie. I remember seeing one of them but couldn't find it.
I bought my cubes, the bin for the kitchen, clips, and a gazillion cable ties today. I am ready to give this cage it's final face lift.

I have used dowels and curtain rods to support a second level. But what I have found to work best is white wire shelving. I have just re did all of our cages with wire shelving on the bottom of the first and second floor. Currently I have the equivalent of 14 x 2 with 3 2nd level areas (divided into 4 cages). I used combinations of 12" and 16" wire shelving under most of it. It is not too expensive and you can have it cut to the size you need, then secure it all together with the grids with cable ties. I am very pleased with how sturdy it is.

Also, I have recently had many combinations of males and females sharing walls. It has definitely made some of the males excited, but others don't react any different then sharing a wall with males. I did recently add poster board between the shared wall when the babies were born and this helped them calm down. I believe it depends on the personalities.

Last edited:
To Lil Fellas Mom - Here is a support idea. PVC pipe from the hardware store.

I'm rebuilding and would like some thoughts

I'm not sure of the size, but take a grid connector with you if you decide to try it. There is a size that fits the inside of the pipe perfectly.

To Lissie - Your cages rock. The external ramps are a great design. I might have to modify now. I don't think the ramps have to be closed over the top unless you have cats or dogs. My ramp is not as steep as it appears, but it takes up space.

Trail_hawk, thanks! But those links are not my cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.