Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Chewing on grids

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Pippin will not stop chewing on his grids. He has the essentials for his diet: unlimited hay, pellets and veggies daily, but he still chews! Are there any ideas for cheap and good chew toys? Could him eating the paint cause health problems? I'm concerned and I now have really ugly grids! :rolleyes:

A&A's_Mommy

Cavy Slave
We are in the same boat! My piggies chew on their grids as well. Mainly when I walk into the kitchen and open the fridge. They want food. Always. Pigs don't really need any "chew" toys. If you get one, he most likely won't use it. I would suggest maybe taking your pig out more for floor time to stimulate his mind a bit more? Although this didn't work for my pigs because they still chew. And I'm not sure about the paint thing. Mine have been chewing on theirs for months and haven't had any health problems.

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Stew did that, But only when his cage was next to the girls, maybe but coro up the whole side of the cage, or maybe put cardboard or fleece?

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
I could try to put coro all the way up... Thanks for the suggestions! My main concern is the health risk. Eating paint can't exactly be the healthiest thing in the world. I give him as much floor time as I can, but then he either just sleeps (bum) or chews on the chicken wire. :yuck: Are those "kritter kabobs" ok? I was thinking of getting him one of those to make him work for his veggies a bit more and entertain him. Something to chew on as an alternative to grids.

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Let us know!

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
My Archie chews on his grids too. I think the main thing is that he wants to CONSTANTLY be out of his cage, which I can't do lol. Although he never chews them to the point that the paint chips off. I have two kritter Kabobs in his cage with apple orchard sticks and some of the other wooden things that the kritter kabob came with. I also have a nut knot nibbler. He tends to just push around the nut knot nibbler but he really likes chewing on his kritter kabobs. You could try out a kritter kabob, I don't think they're too much money.

cavylover1993

Cavy Slave
Maybe your guinea pig just wants your attetion or wants to get out.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Since he is just chewing the grids (at least that is what I got from the post), then it could be a sign of boredom, not necessarily a need for chew items. Way back when, we had guinea pigs in pet store cages and they would constantly chew the bars because they wanted out, they were bored.

How much floor time does your pig get?
I think the best thing to do is to give him some more floor time, or get him a new toy or something. I wouldn't buy a chew toy/treat because he probably won't use it, even if he just needs to chew. I think you should try the extra floor time first, because not only does it benefit your pig more, it is free. :)

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
When i got Daisy Mae, she came with a C&C cage. Her grids were all chewed up and she continued chewing while her friend Juniper Junebug was in quarantine.

Now that they are together, nobody chews on the grids. I think your piggy might be bored. Have you thought about a cage mate? Even if you play with your piggy a lot, it may not be on his schedule, if he had a mate, they could play whenever they wanted.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.