Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty What is wrong!?

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave
Lulu has never had any health problems in the last 3 years untill today!

I noticed one of her eyes is oozing white liquid that look salmost like the grooming liquid, but it won't stop. I also saw her scratching at her eye a little but and that made me very nervous!

(broken link removed)

My goal is not to take her to the vet, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Last edited by a moderator:

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I can't see the pic? Also, if she's oozing from her eye. She needs to go to a vet, sorry but your goal is probably not going to be reached.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
I can't see the pic either, but I believe you should take your pig to the vet as soon as possible.

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave
Ok, I won't be home till sunday, but on Monday Iwill call up my vet. Anything to make her better.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The pic is in the user's personal galleries. It could be a tear duct problem, a hay poke or another type of eye injury. Never mess around with eye injuries. She needs to see the vet. Monday could be too late.

I have a girl who is blind in one eye due to a severe eye injury. She was on eye medication, pain killers and antibiotics for awhile.

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Eek you better not have flash on when you took that pic!

My guinea pig had the same problem, the next day it cleared and white puss oozed out. From a guinea pig site it says to use a human eye cleaner (ones with no chemical) to clean out any stuff inside the eye. 3 days later it cleared up and he was fine :). I think it should be fine if you leave it untreated for about 5-7 days. If it doesnt go away seek a vet.

Heres a vid of the pig with the white stuff, about 1 min in
YouTube - Guinea Pig Rap

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig had the same problem, the next day it cleared and white puss oozed out. From a guinea pig site it says to use a human eye cleaner (ones with no chemical) to clean out any stuff inside the eye. 3 days later it cleared up and he was fine :). I think it should be fine if you leave it untreated for about 5-7 days. If it doesnt go away seek a vet.

I don't think it is good advice to tell somebody that it will probably be ok for another week. That is like an "out of jail free card". Chances are that the piggy will not be fine for a week and might loose the eye or worse. I had a piggy that lost an eye from having been poked by a piece of hay. I cleaned it too and thought it would be fine. My poor piggy paid dearly for my assumption.

Would you not see a doctor if your eye had white puss coming out of it. You owe the same to the animals in your care.

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I don't think it is good advice to tell somebody that it will probably be ok for another week. That is like an "out of jail free card". Chances are that the piggy will not be fine for a week and might loose the eye or worse. I had a piggy that lost an eye from having been poked by a piece of hay. I cleaned it too and thought it would be fine. My poor piggy paid dearly for my assumption.

Would you not see a doctor if your eye had white puss coming out of it. You owe the same to the animals in your care.

Eyes are very delicate things, no medication or eye drops in the world will heal the eyes if they are too damaged, that said, but they will aid the healing process if its not too damaged. Too much med could even hinder the healing process

The vet will just clean out the eye, and give them antibotics which will only reduce the redness of the eye, but the problem will still persist.
You have to wait for the eye to heal itself, the vet can't do anything.

From my previous reply i said to use a human eye cleaner with no chemicals to clean out the stuff that may be inside the eye, which is similar to what the vet will do.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Damaged is damaged. I'd adhere to the mod's rules about not posting med advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

The pig needs to see a cavy vet. Eye injuries are serious.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I want to make it very clear that sometimes giving advice, especially not so good advice, can be VERY dangerous and is extremely frowned upon.

Just because a "home remedy" worked for you does not mean it is warranted in all cases. Eyes need to be checked by the vet ASAP pretty much because the longer you wait, the more damage there will be. I really don't appreciate people coming into threads telling others not to take their pig(s) to the vet when it's warranted and to take a "wait and see what happens" approach.

I don't know what kind of "human eye cleaner" you are suggesting but saline solution could do more damage than help. If the eye would need to be flushed it should be with sterile water only.

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I don't wanna get a suspension but the OP says they dont want to take her to the vet so thats why i suggested the home remedy method.

Ill leaave it at that

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
I don't wanna get a suspension but the OP says they dont want to take her to the vet so thats why i suggested the home remedy method.

Ill leaave it at that
All the more reason to encourage someone to do so if it is necessary. None of us want the expense of a vet visit if it isn't necessary, but if we post our question here and our animal does need to see a vet, we want the people answering us to tell us when it is necessary for us to see a vet. Most of us want to be good cavy parents and do what is best for our animals. The OP also said " but I gotta do what I gotta do."

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Not going to argue or get into a major disussion over this but technically, the OP said:
My goal is not to take her to the vet, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

I don't see in that sentence where the OP states they will not take the pig to the vet, but that they would prefer not to if it's not needed. I see where it does say they will take the pig to the vet if needed and this is a situation where it is needed.

This site highly frowns upon "home remedies" because they are often dangerous and unproven.

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave
Yes, I will definately take her to the vet if I need to. I would hate to see her suffer. unfortunately I still can't do it untill Monday because the people that are "watching" them have no idea what they are doing and I wouldn't want them to take her.

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave
Help! It's Spreading!

Lulu's eye has had some problems a couple days ago and my vet only takes "emergencies" on weekends, so I had to wait till today anyway, I thought it might have been an eye injusry, but now Peanut's eyes are looking funky too! They are receding into the head and are gooey and almost closed at this point! Could it be a contagious URI? If possible, I would like ot just call the vet, tell the symptoms and get the antibiotics, rather than pay $150 for thevisits and antibiotics, which only costs $40.

A couple weeks ago, Thumper has a URI and his eyes looked different, What could it be!?

Should I separate them? or can they stay together because they are both sick?

Please help! I'm starting to get freaked out! But I will definately call the vet today!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Re: Help! It's Spreading!

It may be a respiratory infection or an eye infection. A reputable vet is not going to let you call in over the phone and get antibiotics. They are going to want both pigs to come in so that they can see the symptoms, and may want to do a culture or a stain to rule out injuries.

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave

Okay, I will do whatever I have to do to help them. Even though it costs a bazillion dollars lol. As long as everything works out.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave

Well, I'd call, because it looks like you've now got yourself an emergency (or at the very least a good reason to call the vet). Whatever one has, they have shared with the other. Hopefully you've caught it early enough that you can treat them and everyone will be on the road to recovery by this time tomorrow. Is Thumper in another room from them? Is he still on antibiotics? If not, I'd check him out as well. He's probably just a little behind the others.

Catayn

Cavy Slave

What on Earth are you waiting for?
Take them to the vet!

Guineapigslave

Cavy Slave

Thumper is still a baby, and no neutered so he is kept separated from the girls and he is doing fine. I called the vet but My parents work and I don't have a ride untill they get home. They are still eating but that means nothing to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.