Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage Designs/Plans

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
I'd like to start a thread just for cage designs/plans. I've been making some designs on Google Sketch Up, and I'd like to see if anyone else has made designs.

Post all your designs whether they are from Google Sketch Up, Word, or some other program. Even if they are hand-drawn and on your computer. The photo gallery doesn't allow designs, so here would be a good place to give people ideas. I'd love to see what others have made! Also, if you used your designs to make the real thing, post that picture too!

I'll start:

Here's the Google Sketch Up design I made of my upper deck:

Here's the real thing:

(Please note that the ramp looks strangely steep in this picture - it's much less steep in real life.)

I hope this thread will prove to be useful for people looking for designs!

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Here are some more designs that I've been making.

There's a:

•3x4 with a 1x3 upper deck
•2x4 with a 1x2 middle level and a 2x3 top level

vickyangel3

Cavy Slave
I love google sketch up!! I do loads of designs there!

Heres one I designed, but never got actually make it properly, it didn't fit in the new house as I hadn't accounted for a radiator!!

Got loads of others that are not quite finished though!

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
What program do you guys use to make these designs, they are so neat? never mind, someone just mentioned it. lol

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
I love those designs lissie and vickyangel!! (VickyAngel, when your other ones are done, I'd love to see them! lol)

MissSofi ~ Here's the link to Google Sketch Up - (broken link removed)

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I found it and just started downloading. Id Sketch up though to get a hang of?

maybesomeday

Cavy Slave
Thanks. These are soooo cool! Uh oh, now I need to go figure out how to use Google Sketch Up :)

Kitara_CavyMom

Cavy Slave
I drew this as an idea for another member here, thought someone else might like to use it. It is a design for a lower level "kitchen" instead of an upper level one because the person had a bad back. (And I have fibro so I understand!)

Say you have a 2x3 cage, assume it's in a corner so walls on two sides. Put the kitchen 1x2 under the x2 side opposite the x2 side facing the wall. Make both of the tiles that would be facing you if you were kneeling in front of it open up. That provides easy access for cleaning. The ramp would go on one grid (you would want to box the ramp in) and then the three remaining cubes could have grid supports, you could even use one for storage. I included a really simple graphic with a 2x3 overlay to try and show what I'm saying! You could hinge the cubes that make the kitchen's front side at the top where they meet the floor of your main cage with cable ties. This would allow for easy access and probably be much easier on your back. And you could let them directly onto the floor!

Cage Designs/Plans

ETA: Walls completely optional! :p I just used them as points of reference to make the description easier to understand!

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
How cool, i am downloading this program too. Since I have decided to keep the two sows for sure, I am planning on making a 3 level 2x5 closed cage. The bottom will be for the ladies, the top for the boars and the middle will be split for kitchens with a ramp up and down.

This program will come in handy.

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
The program HATES me!:sorry:

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
That's so cool, Kitara_CavyMom!! Is this what you were thinking? (but with a ramp connecting the two?) Feel free to tell me I did it wrong (if I did), it was just a try! ;)

MissSofi ~ Don't worry, I had trouble at first, too!!

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

PiggiePaws

Cavy Slave
Those are some awesome designs! I just downloaded the porgram...and it hates me too!

I'm having a hard time with the measurements, how do you get the grids so perfect? What template do you use?

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
At least I'm not alone. a good luck to us all!:rolleyes:

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
I'm having a hard time with the measurements, how do you get the grids so perfect? What template do you use?

I just pressed on the square/rectangle button and made a 14" by14" square. You'll see the measurements in the bottom right corner as you create your square. Then I copied and pasted squares all around. For the bottom of the cage, I just drew out a rectangle, pushed it up to make a box, and deleted the top. Then I have a bottom and sides (the coro.)

Hope this wasn't too confusing!

lissie

Cavy Slave
They have (broken link removed). You can start with those.

I downloaded (broken link removed) and exploded it and moved the panels to make the cage.

Found my old design. It didn't stay like that for long. I change my cage about once a month.
Cage Designs/Plans

Cage Designs/Plans

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
We are actually in the stages of building a new big cage. I haven't drawn it out, but so far we have built a 4x4 (in grids) on the bottom, and the top level is a 2x4 (in grids). It was kind of "wiggly" so we added some wooden supports underneath the second level, and they run the length of the 2nd floor (attached underneath the floor with zipties). That really helped. Now, we want to attach the whole setup onto a rolling base, so that it can be easily moved around as necessary for house cleaning.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I love this thread! Sorry I can't stop flooding it. lol

Here's my latest design. 4x5 plus storage on the bottom, 2x5 2nd level, 2x2 hayloft + 1x5 loft on 3rd level. The top 1x7 is for storage. Empty area under hayloft is storage space for KM hay box, 45lbs. fits perfectly under that space.

Attachments

newcage1.jpg newcage2.jpg

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Don't have a design to add, but I wanted to thank all member for these useful idea for my setup! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.