Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! I'm new here!

*Marie*

Cavy Slave
Hello! I just found this forum, and it looks like a great place to learn and talk about piggies!

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Marie and I am 23 years old.

I have had guinea pigs as a child, but that was a really long time ago!

I have been planning and researching for about 2 months now about guinea pigs, and on Tuesday, i get to bring my little girls home!

My boyfriend and I were planning on getting 2 little girls, so they would have a buddy, but when the breeder we are getting them from showed me the pictures of the 3 little girls she had left, we couldn't decide which 2 we wanted, so we decided to get all 3!!

I currently have a 2x4 grid C&C cage, since we were planning on having only 2 piggies, but we will be expanding it soon to make a second level to better accommodate the needs of our little piggies.

Here are some pics of our little girls, we just can't wait to bring them home, Tuesday can't come fast enough!! LOL

We have two little sisters, they are about 4 weeks old, will be about 5 weeks old when they finally come home! They are almost like identical twins on this pic hehe!
Hello! I'm new here!

Here is one of the little sisters by herself.
Hello! I'm new here!

And here is the other little sister.
Hello! I'm new here!

And finally, here is our oldest little girl, she is about 7-8 weeks old.
Hello! I'm new here!

We are still trying to find names for them!

We also have a Domestic Long Hair cat named Freklz, he is 7 yrs old, and a 5 year old German Shepherd named Roxy, but not to worry, the piggies will be safe, they will be kept in our computer room (where we do spend a lot of time) and the door will be kept closed at all times when we are not in there.

I feel like I have been waiting forever to get them, but I wanted to be sure that I had plenty of time to research and prepare before finally brining the Guinea Pigs home, our cage has been built for about a month and a half, and we have all our supplies needed, all that's missing is our little girls!

I can't wait!
Marie

Welcome to the forum.

It would have been nice if you had considered adoption rather than purchasing from a breeder. In the future, please consider adopting instead.

Your girls are adorable. Again, welcome.

If you have been researching, why are you going to a breeder?

I'd take them to a vet asap and make sure they are healthy and correctly sexed. Breeders are far more interested in looks than health. Many are kept in poor conditions and not fed hay or veggies.

Welcome Marie. I love your piggies! As Paula said, try to adopt next time. It may not seem like it but there are lots of homeless piggies and most store-bought piggies are missexed so I would use this page to make sure you have 3 girls :) The last girl has some hair on her! You could put a really big hairbow in that hair!! Anyway, welcome to this site as it has TONS of information

They're the most adorable piggies i've ever seen. @_@
Especially the 'twins'.

Thank you all for the welcome!

I had been looking around and calling shelters, rescues and SPCAs near me for the last couple months, and most of them told me that they either didn't have any piggies, or they rarely got some. There aren't many rescues near me, unfortunately, i live in a very small town, the closest rescues/shelters/SPCAs are over an hour's drive from where I live and they didn't have any GPs up for adoption, and me not having a car, makes it more difficult to find some farther away.

I admit I have made a mistake getting them from a breeder, and i will never do it again, however, it's too late now for these little piggies, they are already mine, so I will do that is best for them, and to give them the best a happiest life possible.

Also thank you for the compliments on my little girls, I don't know how to "thanks" a post. :eek:

'Thanks' is at the bottom right of every post people make. And since you said you don't have local fabric stores or a credit card... Well, some Ebay sellers take money order or check, but not many do, you'll probably still find someone who does.

Welcome to the forum! Your pigs are adorable!

It is always possible to find pigs to adopt, although it can require some effort and patience. If you choose to adopt in the future, there are many people here who can help you find pigs in your area. There are many, many members who live in very small towns with no rescues or shelters who have still managed to adopt instead of buy.

Are your pigs currently in with a male? I'm asking because males should be removed at three weeks, and since you said you aren't adopting them until 5 weeks, I'm not sure if any male siblings have been separated. If they haven't, your pigs could be pregnant. Definitely get a clear answer to that question before you take home your girls. Pregnancy complications are very common, and you don't want to have to deal with any accidental litters.

If there are breeders near you or pet stores that sell animals, there are guinea pigs to rescue. If you had posted here for help or contacted rescues nearby, many can arrange transportation just to see them get homes. I have seen rehoming ads in your area before.

I had been looking around and calling shelters, rescues and SPCAs near me for the last couple months, and most of them told me that they either didn't have any piggies, or they rarely got some. There aren't many rescues near me, unfortunately, i live in a very small town, the closest rescues/shelters/SPCAs are over an hour's drive from where I live and they didn't have any GPs up for adoption, and me not having a car, makes it more difficult to find some farther away.
I think I can speak for many members here when I say we're a little tired of hearing the same old rationalizations and excuses for going to a breeder while wonderful pigs sit in shelters while you buy. This is an excuse we've heard more times than we care to remember, honestly. If you really wanted to adopt, you'd find a way to do so. An hour is not too far to drive. Many members have driven twice that long and then some. And if you don't have a car, how are you going to get your girls to a vet should they need to go?

Like I said, I welcome you to the forum and I hope in your time here why it's better to avoid breeders and pet stores altogether.

I love the black piggies. Thats the color I want so I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for one. But anyway, I told my Mom that's the kind of piggy color I wanted and she was like "Eww! Gross!" She said I can only get a brown one because she likes them but I really think she just wants a brown because she wants to hold it because she'll only hold an all brown one ;)
I think I can speak for many members here when I say we're a little tired of hearing the same old rationalizations and excuses for going to a breeder while wonderful pigs sit in shelters while you buy. This is an excuse we've heard more times than we care to remember, honestly. If you really wanted to adopt, you'd find a way to do so. An hour is not too far to drive. Many members have driven twice that long and then some. And if you don't have a car, how are you going to get your girls to a vet should they need to go?
I think she lives with her parents and isn't old enough to 'drive' yet so maybe that's why she couldn't adopt.

No I am plenty old to drive, I am 23 years old, I just don't have a car.

It's a lot easier for me to find a ride to somewhere that takes 10 minutes (I can call a cab if I need to also, which I have done MANY times to get my pets the medical attention when they need it) than to find a ride to go somewhere that is over an hour's drive, believe me.

And I'm sorry I have upset all of you, I admitted I made a mistake and that I wouldn't make the same mistake again, there is no point in arguing or making me feel bad about it now. I am here to learn and that is exactly what I'm doing, so please, I feel guilty enough about it, there's no need to make me feel worse. We all make mistakes, and that is how we learn, I have learned from mine, and I will not buy from a breeder again.

Now can we please move on, I came here looking for advice on how to take good care of my new little Guinea Pigs, not to be bashed. I mean no disrespect, you all seem to have great knowledge on Guinea Pigs, and their proper care, which is why I joined.

I am not a bad person, or a bad pet owner, I take good care of my pets, buy them the best quality food I can, get them vet care when needed, give them plenty of love and attention, and I ALWAYS put their needs before my own, they are my life, my babies, my loves.

I would really like to be a part of this forum, you all seem like a great bunch of people, please don't judge me forever for one mistake I made, a mistake that I will never make again.

Once again, I am sorry. I hope you all can forgive me and not be mad forever, and help me learn so I can give my piggies the best life I possibly can.

Oh, sorry for jumping about not driving. Like some people said, some rescues can be willing to meet half way if you don't have a car or something, you've just gotta ask.

I don't think anyone is mad, we're just tired of hearing the same lame excuses, that's all.

Welcome to GPC! This is the best forum around to find accurate care information. You're piggies are cute and if you're ever looking to get more, many people on this forum can help you find some.

And I'm sorry I have upset all of you, I admitted I made a mistake and that I wouldn't make the same mistake again, there is no point in arguing or making me feel bad about it now. I am here to learn and that is exactly what I'm doing, so please, I feel guilty enough about it, there's no need to make me feel worse. We all make mistakes, and that is how we learn, I have learned from mine, and I will not buy from a breeder again.
No one's "upset," or "mad." If anything I'd say it's disappointment. Mostly, because the story you're giving about no shelters and no other ways to adopt without going to a breeder is not only something we've heard dozens of times, but something that's just not true.

I have been planning and researching for about 2 months now about guinea pigs, and on Tuesday, i get to bring my little girls home!
And, perhaps this is here nor there, but you haven't bought them yet. If you really do feel as guilty as you say you do you can still choose to adopt and not buy. I realize that may not be something you're willing to consider at this point. So be it. No, it doesn't make you a bad owner, and it certainly doesn't make you a bad person but let's not pretend it's something you had no choice in.

That said, this is a great place to learn as much as you can about proper care of your girls and you're welcome here. Start by reading the stickies at the top of each section and you'll be in great shape.

Welcome to the forum. Those pigs are beautiful and precious!:love:You will learn so much from this site! Please keep us posted when you bring them home and how they are adjusting. Love their coloring. I see why you fell totally in love with them!

Last edited:
First I would like to say welcome! Your girls are absolutely adorable.

Second though, next time you should really adopt with so many homeless pigs already, going to a breeder adds to the already big overpopulation problem. Anywhere there are breeders/pet stores/pigs in general there are homeless ones. It can require some effort and may get tiresome but it's well worth it in the end. Especially knowing you gave a couple pigs a second chance and didn't add to the problem.

To late now though so I wish you good luck with your new additions.

Hey there. I said all I needed to say last night about your situation so no need to go on about it now lol. That being said. I would like to officially welcome you to the site, good luck and enjoy and learn a lot. You came to the right place.

I think she lives with her parents and isn't old enough to 'drive' yet so maybe that's why she couldn't adopt.
Please don't make assumptions. We mods get pretty upset when others jump in threads and assume things that may or may not be true. All it does it end up making the person who make assumptions look bad when those assumptions turn out to be false. And if you had read her first post in this thread, you would have learned that she is not a minor but a 23 year old.

Marie- You can't thank posts until you've been a member here for 30 days and have at least 10 posts. Then you will see the Thanks button. Welcome to GPC.

I just learned HOW to use the THANKS button here in this thread :) Anyway, Marie, I too have made the EXACT same mistakes in not being able to "find" a shelter or any pigs to "rescue" and not being able to travel too far (I am agoraphobic) so yes I imagine the people here on this site are tired of the same old "excuses". Anyway, we now KNOW "better" and will not make the same mistakes in the future. My "mistakes" have resulted in a missexed pig and three pregnant females from local pet stores. I now have FOUR babies to rehome and more on the way. As much as I LOVE seeing these babies, I KNOW because of my mistakes, they might end up "paying" the price so GOOD LUCK with your pigs you are getting and next time out, we will need to ASK for help in finding adoptable pigs in our area won't we :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.