Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n I quit being a vegetarian

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
So after 2 weeks of thinking about it I finally decided to quit being a vegetarian. Now I'm becoming a vegan :D The only thing I'm going to miss is brownies :weepy: I'm going to slowly stop eating cheese,milk etc. Does anybody know any good vegan brownie recipes? I'm desperate :cheeky:

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
You got me scared for a second! And nope sorry I don't have any recipies, I'm just a mere vegetarian who hail to all you supirior vegans. :)

But kudos to you! I plan on being vegan...I can't at the moment but I'm doing all I can to prepare and try to get products that don't test on animals.

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
WOOHOO! Go you. Tons of vegan brownie recipes, no need to miss them! I love the texture of (broken link removed) but just do a google search "Vegan Brownies" and you'll find tons if they don't suit you. (Just be sure you get a sugar that is vegan -- not processed with bone char. You can also replace the sugar with agave syrup, which is what I do. I loooooove agave syrup, it's vegan, and it has a lower impact on blood sugar.)

Almost all *treats* can be made vegan, to the point omnivores can't tell the difference. Some may be hard to find if you don't bake yourself (for example I only know two places for vegan donuts in my city, and we're very veg-friendly). But substitutions are super easy to make on recipes. You can learn how from many vegan cookbooks, and then you can modify omnivore recipes to suit a veg diet.

We had a vegan cake at our wedding, and all the guests loved it. Our meat-eater wedding planner fell in love with the vegan bakery who did it and brings treats to all her friends and then tells them afterwards (as if amazed it's possible) it's vegan. There's vegan custard and so on as well. *drools* Vegan custard.....

I wanted to add a picture of our wedding cake from our all-vegan wedding!! It's from Sweet Pea Bakery in the vegan strip mall on Stark in Portland, OR (yep, we have an all-vegan strip mall).

Last edited:

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I made those brownies earlier and I had to use a smaller pan because the batter was too good! :D

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
It can be a pain to modify recipes to be vegan... but I think that it's probably worth it if for nothing else because then you can eat the batter with no salmonella worries. (Or at least, fewer). And the ones that are already vegan can be super tasty. The main problems I've found are being too dry and not rising. Taste though doesn't tend to be a problem.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
A vegan chocolate store just opened down the street from me. Too much good stuff there.

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
There are several ways to make baked goods more moist. I think the modifying recipes gets easier with time once you've had practice and know how much to substitute and so on. Agave also helps with the moistness, versus sugar. My favorite method of adding delicious moistness is applesauce. (Or zucchini for chocolate cake. No, seriously!)

rxqueen

Cavy Slave
Here's the recipe I use, and it always turns out great.

(broken link removed)

Edit- just realized I posted the same link as Tserisa. Oopsie.

Add some vegan bittersweet chocolate chips to them. They are amazing that way. You're safe with Ghirardelli (the ones in the gold bag).

On thanksgiving and christmas, my mom and I went crazy baking vegan cake, pie, brownies and cookies.

I think we didn't even use egg replacer. Well, maybe on the cake, I can't remember. My mom loves baking and hates changing her recipes, but it was surprisingly easy to make things without eggs or milk. My pumpkin pie was perfect.

I'm glad to hear you're going vegan! I have been vegan for nearly a year (it will be a year next month) and it has been the best thing I have ever done. I too missed brownies and stuff at first. I'm pretty lucky to live in Washington though. There's a lot of awesome stuff for vegans around here like Mighty O Donuts.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.