Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Im New Here :s Please Help!

Hey! please work on the capitalization problem. I sometimes have a few lower case slip through becasue my caps key doesn't always work. But having no capitals really does make your posts hard to read.

As for the 'magic parade' of answers: I don't have a problem with it. there is so much info on this site, it's kind of hard to sift through. Pretty overwhelming, you know? So asking for the parade of answers doesn't bother me. We all have a choice whether to repond or not. Probably the folks who are responding are passing on what they think is most essential, which can help a lot.

Good luck with your piggies, and PLEASE don't buy from a pet store. It might be hard to find a piggie to adopt, but at least try. You never know what you might find. I bought from a pet store, with no research beforehand, and our piggies are great. But now that I understand the whole piggie-mill atrocity, I can't support them with any of my $$.

Hey! please work on the capitalization problem. I sometimes have a few lower case slip through becasue my caps key doesn't always work. But having no capitals really does make your posts hard to read.

As for the 'magic parade' of answers: I don't have a problem with it. there is so much info on this site, it's kind of hard to sift through. Pretty overwhelming, you know? So asking for the parade of answers doesn't bother me. We all have a choice whether to repond or not. Probably the folks who are responding are passing on what they think is most essential, which can help a lot.

Good luck with your piggies, and PLEASE don't buy from a pet store. It might be hard to find a piggie to adopt, but at least try. You never know what you might find. I bought from a pet store, with no research beforehand, and our piggies are great. But now that I understand the whole piggie-mill atrocity, I can't support them with any of my $$.

I don't think you read through the entire thread - which is cool - but these things have already been addressed.

Oops! I keep forgetting to see if there's more than one page of replies. Sorry.

Hi GC (and GC's mum!)

I'm really glad to hear you've now adopted Itsy and Bitsy, hope they are settling in well.

I have adopted my babies, yesterday they are fantastic. I love them lots. So does my mum, we had cuddles this morning I think it went well. They were vibrating what does this mean? I heard them Wheek for the first time yesterday :D . On my picture < next to my name. Is Itsy my Baby. She is beautiful. Itsy is alot more tame than Bitsy im not sure why she just is not settling in as quick as Itsy is .

How long will it take for them to come out of their house :(, I'm not sure if its normal or not im worrying are they ok. I dont think their drinking either. Is this normal.
Maybe its me being to protective.
Their eating ok lots of poo's.
Eating veg / fry food etc.
Weeing a bit.
but not coming out or drinking much ?

Last edited:
Your avatar pig is darling. I love brown pigs, for some reason. So cute!

How long will it take for them to come out of their house :(, I'm not sure if its normal or not im worrying are they ok. I dont think their drinking either. Is this normal.
Maybe its me being to protective.
Their eating ok lots of poo's.
Eating veg / fry food etc.
Weeing a bit.
but not coming out or drinking much ?

If you just got them yesterday, I wouldn't worry about them hiding a LOT. Heck we've had Emma now for 5 weeks and she still hides a LOT in her pigloo. And I mean that any time she isn't out with Pilot and eating around she is hiding. It really is okay and normal. It's going to take some time for them to really start to feel comfortable in their new digs. Lots of sounds and smells and what not to get used to.

If you have rinsed your veggies with water and kept them wet - they are getting water that way too. I would continue to watch for water intake - just remember that you may not see it all as they may drink at night when you are asleep. It took Emma a few days for me to actually see her drink. And even now she isn't that big of a drinker but that is because I think she is getting a ton of water from their veggies I feed them twice per day.

Just keep an eye on them to see if a problem develops with the drinking but it's only been a day. :)

Hi GettingCavies! Spending a lot of time in the same room with your babies will help them get used to you and your noises. My computer is in the piggies room & I usually bring my cordless phone in here when I'm talking on it. They will keep running at every new or loud noise but they will get used to you.

All but my youngest will take a carrot or green bean from my hand. I have to crouch next to the cage and wait as they approach one by one to grab their treat & popcorn off. The oldest who are five run out and demand a treat every time I pass. Sitting near the cage helps because you are not so tall & looming so threateningly. With young ones I like to bring little bits of veggie or fruit several times a day & they soon associate my voice with the arrival of goodies.

Now, when they hear me, they make demands:
"We want carrots, greens, something yummy." Or "this is an emergency...we are almost out of hay!" When a water bottle is empty, even though there's more than one with plenty of water, I hear about it until it is full & in its' proper place.

You will soon be their favorite human. Is your brother over his fears about biting?

Hiya, I know this is alot of questions but you know when they make a tapping with there teeth or that what it sounds like, or a machine gun kind of noise what are these and why is my one Piggie doing it (Isty).
It is only when i pick her up though. she sits still as well .

He's ok, I would be too if I knew what them noises meant.

Apart from that they have come out lot more this evening

Last edited:
The teeth chattering, I think, is a sign that they are a bit upset. On of my pigs will do it when I start moving the hideys around so I can sweep up poos. Yes, it will take a few weeks for them to start feeling comfortable in their new home. How old are they? Try and feed them their daily veggies at the same time every day, and pretty soon they will start to hollar when you are a little late.

Be sure to feed a variety of veggies (although the mainstay should be red and green leaf lettuces). My girls enjoy red and green pepper, kale, romaine, cilantro (piggy candy!), baby carrots (in moderation), tomatoes and an occasional bit of apple or orange. In the summer, be sure to grab up the free corn husks and silks in the bins beside the corn at the grocery store. And don't forget about fresh grass if you have a source that is free of pesticides (and not where a dog regularly trods). Oh and dandilion greens. Hmmmm. You can tell I love to feed my pigs.

Cute pig by the way. You and your mom are going to enjoy them.

It is normal for your new piggys to hide a lot. They are naturally skiddish animals, and they have a lot of new smells, sounds, sights, and activities to get used to. It takes some time and patience, but they will come around.
Teeth chattering is a warning of aggravation or fear, and is normal as well.

I adopted 2 baby sows back in October, and when I got them they were little spit fires. They would chatter their teeth like mad and give me a "don't you even dare" stare if I approached the cage. If I attempted to reach into the cage they would just about beat their brains out running into things to scurry away. I have spent a lot of time at their cage just offering little treats (veggies) from my hand, and they have come a long ways. They don't react much to me approaching the cage anymore. They still won't willingly allow me to reach in and pet them, but I can hold my hand out and they will approach, smell my fingers, and occasionally nibble at them. They have no problems taking food from my hands, and once I catch them lap time goes pretty smoothly. The way to a pigs heart is through it's stomach. If you spend enough time offering treats from your hands, they just simply can't help themselves. The sooner they trust you, the sooner they will begin to explore more. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the water. It is normal for you to not see them out drinking too much when they are new to your home. They are likely sneaking out and drinking at night when the house is quiet, and some of their veggies are probably providing them with water as well... Like the crispy thick parts of lettuce.

hiya, the piggies are getting better, today I was able to pick up the dry food they had spilt and they stayed out eating there carrots I give them 4 chunks between them a day with two cucumber slices and a little celery or mabye a tiny bit of tomato with some fresh grass or dandilion leaves mmmmmmmm they like those, I do think Itsy is being bullied is it normal for Bitsy to bite Itsy bum ? and it makes her jump?
I put them in a brown paper bag yesterday they did go in it but bot much.
I tryed a little floor time in my bathroom and they just sat in the bag. They did get exited when they saw thier toys and was running around for 5 minutes so that was good :) .
I i took the bag out as they weeed bad in it. And made a kind of tipiee- thing, about 5 minutes ago. hope they like it :D .

Have not had them 3 days and think I'm making good progress.

Getting,
Hi! Itsy and Bitsy sound wonderful! I'm so excited for you. My more mature cavy took a while to get used to me, start to play in his floor time, and everything else that indicates a well-adjusted pig. He's still adapting, and I've had him 6 "wheeks"! He is comfortable now, looks forward to seeing me, but has moments of revelation: like this weekend when he figured out he LOVES to be scratched under the chin. A little bit of heaven!

Aw, loverly glad you like the sound of them there as cute as they sound, pigtures coming soon hopfully guys.

Hi all, this is Gc mum. The new babies are so beautiful, im so glad we adopted also, feel that we made a step towards helping. Itsy and bitsy are getting more and more used to us now, itsy is alot more settled than bitsy but bitsy is coming on slow but sure. Its so cute to hear them wheaking when its veggie time, they really do know when its time, you could almost set your watch by them. Itsy keeps giving the three of us piggy kisses too, what lovely wet tongues they have lol. They are also not hiding when we go to clean up the cage a little, they run round our hands thinking we might have treats for them. Anyway you take care all, hope to hear from you soon.

Re: :) Updates on Itsy and Bitsy laugh :)

Hiya everyone as noone has seen pictures of my babies, I just wanted to let you see how their doing, which is great.
Itsy may be pregnant so please watch out if you think she is.
The cage there in is the one that i put them in while i clean the cage :).

Itsy my baby.

Bitsy my brothers baby.

Both our babys.

Itsy head and me, Together.

Hope you like them, they are doing just fab. I love them so much. I will keep you posted on Itsy.

Thank you all very much.

Bitsy is my baby, shes black and tanned. Shes so cute. We are cleaning the cage right now. They are in their second cage which we put them in while we clean them out.

They are lovely. I am glad you are enjoying them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.