Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Replacing a Down-Filled Coat

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
I've been vegitarian for a while now, but due to finances (I'm in school and not working; it was a little more important to buy the kids clothes), I've been unable to replace my down-filled coat I've had for about six years now. Down is so insulating, and I'd love to find a synthetic material that provides as much warmth. I have about $100 to spare right now, so I'm hoping that's enough for something decent and cruelty-free because I just can't stand having to wear that thing anymore. Thanks for any ideas. :)

I have a coat from LLBean that is wonderfully warm. It's full length and lined with thinsulate. I got it when I was a playground monitor at an elementary school about 10 years ago and it still looks almost new. Maybe you can find something in their on-line catalog or even try e-bay for a gently used one.

Thank you, I'll have to look there. It'll be nice to get a warm coat that doesn't add to animal deaths.

Maybe you could look for a used down coat at a thirft store? In my opinion when you buy leather or down from a thrift store, you aren't contributing to animal cruelty. You are not playing a part in the 'supply and demand dance' for animal products because the coat has already been purchased (probably several years ago). The animal has been dead for many years and you have nothing to do with that fact. But I don't live in a cold climate, so I don't know if you can even find a down coat in a thrift store, but good luck whichever route you choose.

Walden Mills has come up with varieties of fleece that are used in polar climates. Their website has links to companies that use their fabrics.
(broken link removed)

There are tons of "down alternative" comforters on the market made with polyester filling. Maybe they make coats as well?

I have a coat that is waterproof, and has fleece liner which I got at a local camping supply. I've gone on 5 mile walks in the rain and came home dry as a bone. I got it on clearance for 59 bucks, it retailed at over 200 though. Keep an eye out for bargains like that.

Hi,

I'm not a veg*n myself so I can't really claim to understand your dilemma, but I am a bit of an environmentalist.

I see it this way... you have already bought your down coat, so effectively the damage is already done. (Sorry if that sounds harsh but I couldn't think of a better way to word it).
Although I understand why, as a vegetarian, you don't want to ear a down filled coat, please also consider the effects of replacing it. It means yet more production of man made materials, which will in some way be detrimental to the environment and animals.
I just think that in todays throw-away society we are taking too much, causing too much waste and pollution etc.

Maybe you could just keep the coat for the time being, until it needs replacing, and then go for something cruelty free after that?

I haven't looked at this thread for a while. Sorry! Thanks for the good suggestions.

The coat itself is in need of replacement. I probably didn't make that clear. The sleeves hardly have any feathers left in them and the wind goes right through. It sheds so much I'm constantly picking feathers off of myself and I keep finding them in the wash.

It is sad it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation when you buy almost anything. If I go with man-made materials I'm probably supporting the ruin of the enviroment, and possibly things like child labor or sweatshops, if I buy another down coat I'm adding to the cruel deaths of waterfowl. I'm liking the suggestion of getting a slightly used man-made one. It's cheaper, and I'm not supporting the company that's doing questionable things to the enviroment or people by demanding yet another coat from them. We have consignment shops around here I'm going to start browsing through.

I don't know where you live so I can't suggest a specific shop or website, but some companies are starting to sell "ethical clothing". Seems to be stuff that is made in an environmentally friendly way, without animal products, made of organic materials etc. Might be worth a look.

I know it's a hard decision - It's only recently I've become more aware of environmental issues myself so I'm finding hard to make all the right choices.

Good luck finding a great and ethical coat, whatever you decide to get!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.