Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

how to pick the right pig for me

sannie

Cavy Slave
How do you pick out the right pig for yourself?
Is there anything I should take into account looking at piggies or just pick the "cutest" (which is highly subjective).

Thanks for your tips =)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I would go for the most healthiest looking pig. I think for everybody the cuteness aspect play a huge part, but look for a pig that has bright clean eyes, clean coat/ears. Make sure it isn't lethargic or very very aggressive to other pigs. You can also check for any bald spots and so forth... Good luck!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
If you plan to look at a rescue, they usually can tell you the personality traits of their piggies. That's how I think people should choose their pet, by personality. Good luck on choosing! =)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please make sure you are picking the right TWO pigs for yourself. A non-breeding pair. A rescue will help you find the right pig pair for your desires.

--------------------------

Let me take this opportunity to tell you who walks on water as potential adopters that come in to our rescues. Now this is a rare breed when it comes to a person, couple or family.

Adopter: "Show me your most unadoptable guinea pigs. That's who I'd like to provide a home for. I don't care what they look like."

Rescuer: " " Speechless. Tears. Renewed faith in humanity.

--------------------------

We'll always be able to find the nice, cute, healthy, young and relatively young guinea pigs for you to adopt. Trust me, there is no shortage. However, after you've been in rescue more than a few years, the rescue also ends up becoming a sanctuary for the unadoptables or hard-to-adopt. Senior pigs, anti-social pigs, pigs that aren't cute by most people's standards, pigs that are on health watch for potential issues, pigs that have minor health problems, and a few with more serious issues that may require daily meds and or on-going vet care. Over time, the rescue population of these pigs grows leaving less room for the cute and easily adoptable. (Not that finding good homes is easy, just relatively speaking).

---------------------

Just something to think about . . .

sannie

Cavy Slave
That's beautiful... really something to think about!

And who says that one of these "unadoptable" pigs isn't the cutest and best pig for me ? ;-)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.