Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Balding spots?

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Hoping you guys can calm my nerves a bit. My 6 year old girl appears to have these small spots of thinned hair that I don’t think was there before. She’s not itchy and the skin normal. When she walks straight her dewlap hangs to the floor where the spots are, and when she eats veggies it gets all over her chin also, so I’m wondering if maybe they’re just from rubbing on the floor or from grooming? She also has very slightly thinned hair on her arm pits, but I’m almost positive this is friction caused, as she’s a big girl. There are no other bald or thinning areas anywhere else.

Attachments

F3AA8CF2-94B7-4F25-A544-1283325F8FC4.jpg

lauryn670

Cavy Gazer
It does seem like friction could be the cause! But just to be safe of course it’s always best to talk to a vet if you can incase it could be fungal or mites. Sending good wishes to you and your beautiful piggy <3
Hoping you guys can calm my nerves a bit. My 6 year old girl appears to have these small spots of thinned hair that I don’t think was there before. She’s not itchy and the skin normal. When she walks straight her dewlap hangs to the floor where the spots are, and when she eats veggies it gets all over her chin also, so I’m wondering if maybe they’re just from rubbing on the floor or from grooming? She also has very slightly thinned hair on her arm pits, but I’m almost positive this is friction caused, as she’s a big girl. There are no other bald or thinning areas anywhere else.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
When you feel on the spots is there any lump or swelling?

When mine developed sebaceous cysts they developed hair thinning in the spots where the swelling occurred.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
When you feel on the spots is there any lump or swelling?

When mine developed sebaceous cysts they developed hair thinning in the spots where the swelling occurred.
nope, nothing like that, she does have a sebaceous cyst on her back and I know exactly what you mean

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
If you gently pull the hair in that area or other areas, does it come out easily with small clumps of dry skin attached?

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
If you gently pull the hair in that area or other areas, does it come out easily with small clumps of dry skin attached?
Nope, I’ve dealt with parasites and fungus, I’m fairly certain it isn’t that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd assume fungus, and treat for several days with an antifungal cream. If that didn't help, I'd switch to a triple antibiotic cream for a week or so. One or the other is likely to help.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I'd assume fungus, and treat for several days with an antifungal cream. If that didn't help, I'd switch to a triple antibiotic cream for a week or so. One or the other is likely to help.
even if the skin is normal?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. It won't hurt, and might help. The alternative is a painful, expensive skin scraping. But you can always resort to that if the easier, cheaper methods don't work.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Since November, the spots have stayed pretty much the same, the black side is a bit larger now though. However, today I noticed this spot, this is hay mites isn’t it? Could this have caused her to chew off her hairs on her neck? She’s starting to chew off this spot. Its dusty looking

Attachments

46856536-1BE6-4725-A2D8-75BDEED42BAB.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.