Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Irritation at Hair Line Behind Ear

boopy

Cavy Slave
Hello! We recently adopted a little baby girl named Maple. She's been in her 2 week quarantine and we've been treating what we initially thoughts was ringworm for the better half of it while we waited for her vet visit (which is today). I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here- I believe she may have a yeast infection. She has red irritation around the hairline on the bald patch behind her ear (which I know is normal, the red irritation line, however, is not). Because it's in a ring shape, we thought it was ringworm, however it doesn't seem to be affecting her anywhere else and has not gotten to the point of causing scurfy, dry-looking skin anywhere else on her. It's not spread, even to her ear on that side which is what I would have expected. Treatment of the area with what I would normally do for ringworm (Gorgeous Guineas Neem Oil products, 1% clotrimazole) hasn't really done anything. She's not lost any hair on her ears, behind the ear, or anywhere else. I found two similar accounts with pictures identical to her issue and they stated it was a yeast infection, however the treatment for it seemed to be a cream only available in the UK. She was checked for mites when we got her, but I know today I'm going to be asking about that, as well, at the vet. She does not like her ears being touched, but beyond the red ring of irritation on the bald patch, her ears seem healthy. I cleaned them out when we did her initial health check.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this before?
Fungal Question.jpg

Just to sum it up:
  • Red irritated skin following the hair line on (normal) bald patch behind ear
  • No other indications of ringworm, despite having had this for over 1 week
  • No hair loss, on or around the site
  • Has not spread it to me, which would have been very likely
  • Has not changed, worse or better, despite treatment (Gorgeous Guineas Neem Oil products, 1% clotrimazole)
  • Hates ears being touched, but doesn't seem to be super itchy
  • She has an appointment today
  • Was previously looked at for mites 2 weeks ago after I was told she had been exposed to static mites, but she has shown no signs beyond this of any skin parasites.
  • I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and could tell me about their experience

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.