Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant Pig signs of pending birth?

Dayzie_melon

Cavy Gazer
Good evening fellow pig people!
im new to the forum but found you through googling for information and what an awesome community of friendly helpful people you all are 😃

a little back story-
I took in a single female guinea pig as her mate had sadly passed away. Her name is Latte and she is approximately 6 months old (has had two previous litters prior to coming into my care- 2 pups in each litter).
That same day I saw an ad online in my town of another female Guinea pig for sale as the family was leaving town and couldn’t keep her anymore. I jumped at the opportunity to take her in (Jan is her name) and for Latte to have a cage mate.
everything went wonderfully, the two pigs both on March 20th 2021 came to my house to live happily ever after together....
After about a month of living together out in their big enclosure and having settled in, I caught them both to trim their nails and low and behold the second guinea pig is of course NOT a female 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️
so fast forward and Jan has been renamed to Mr BoJANgles and the two were immediately seperated.
Latte now lives in a cage with a 6 week old ACTUAL female and is now quite large. We can feel babies moving inside and see them kicking from the outside.
my question is, would I assume she got pregnant on the day they met March 20th? If so then she would be 60 days pregnant today. How will I know when she is close to having the babies? She has quite long hair so it’s hard to tell by looking at her. Most things I’ve read says between 60-70 days the pregnancy will last but I never actually saw them mating so I’m just guessing from the day they were put in together 🤔She has stopped wanting to be picked up which is about the only characteristic change to note. Also if her previous two litters were two pups is it likely she will only have two pups again this time? Sorry for so many questions, I have not ever had a pregnant pig before and the research I’m doing online is giving me a lot of mixed answers.

many thanks for reading my long post
🥰

Dayzie_melon

Cavy Gazer
Pregnant Pig signs of pending birth?
This is our pregnant Latte girl

Dayzie_melon

Cavy Gazer
Thankyou reading through it now ��

So she would be 63 days pregnant today if she got pregnant on day one of the pair being together. Though I never actually saw them mating so I’m unsure. We can feel the babies moving and kicking and my son thinks he could hear teeth chattering so do I assume that 63 days would be accurate?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The exact number of days isn't too important, since the pups don't know about that. They'll come when they come. A sow will probably carry a small litter longer than a large one. But if you can hear the pups gnashing their teeth, it shouldn't be much more than a week to go, if that.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Just make sure Mr. Bojangles can't access her cage after she gives birth. If you have an open top c&c and just divided them when you found out he was male, be warned that he can and will climb the walls and get over to her. Make sure her cage has a secure lid.

Also, as you wait for the babies make sure you prepare Mama's cage to babyproof it so little heads don't get stuck in openings or fit through bars and get out. And please make sure her space is large enough to house her with several new pigs...if it's too small a space one thing that commonly happens is she will chew the babies' ears. So please use this wait time to prepare.

Looking forward to baby pictures.

Dayzie_melon

Cavy Gazer
Just make sure Mr. Bojangles can't access her cage after she gives birth. If you have an open top c&c and just divided them when you found out he was male, be warned that he can and will climb the walls and get over to her. Make sure her cage has a secure lid.

Also, as you wait for the babies make sure you prepare Mama's cage to babyproof it so little heads don't get stuck in openings or fit through bars and get out. And please make sure her space is large enough to house her with several new pigs...if it's too small a space one thing that commonly happens is she will chew the babies' ears. So please use this wait time to prepare.

Looking forward to baby pictures.

thankyou for the replies. I seperated them straight away. The mumma is inside with a confirmed female cage mate and dad is in a different room with a confirmed male cage mate. So no fear of cage hopping at all.

Dayzie_melon

Cavy Gazer
Day 66 today, still no sign of babies yet. She is sleeping ALOT and cleaning herself more then normal. The wait is killing me!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And it's almost guaranteed she's going to have them during the night or some other time that you're not around and watching. That's the way it always goes.

Just make sure the cage is baby pig proofed BEFORE she gives birth.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I recently went through pregnancies with two young rescues. It's hard to wait, but the babies will come when they come!

With my girls, the first one had separated pelvic bones for 6 days. During that time her behavior was 100% normal, still eating and running around her cage. She was even eating hay about 30 minutes before she gave birth.

My second girl had separated pelvic bones for 2 days and during that time she was a little more reserved and just wanted to sit in her favourite house more. She also ate veggies a few hours before giving birth.

Babies make their own schedule though and are completely unpredictable. They will arrive when they're ready.

Dayzie_melon

Cavy Gazer
Good morning,

day 71 since the two pigs were put together... still waiting for the babies to arrive. Yesterday my index finger could fit between her pelvic bones, I can hear and feel teeth chattering in her belly and kicks visible from the outside. They will come when they’re ready. The anticipation of their arrival is high! Haha

just an update for you all

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.