Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What to do when you're down to 1 pig and you aren't planning on getting more?

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I have absolutely loved having guinea pigs these past 4 years. I had a total of 5 females that I adored. In less than 1 year I have lost 3 of my guinea pigs from either old age or inoperable tumors. And I have lost 2 of them within 1 1/2 months of each other. As much as I love guinea pigs, it is getting so hard to keep losing them. I have 2 pigs left and as of right now, I am not planning on getting any more.

I hate even asking this question, but I'd rather be prepared now than to be frantic later. The 2 pigs I have left are 4 and 5 years old. Since I am not planning on getting more pigs, what do I do once I only have 1 left? The thought of giving one of them away to live out their final few years sounds like the worst thing I could do, but I also know that they shouldn't be kept alone.

What have you done in this situation, or what are you planning on doing when that time comes?

Thank you for any input you might have!

I think others before you have faced the same situation of having one remaining pig and not planning on getting anymore. I agree with you that it would not be fair to a piggy who has lived their entire life in one home to suddenly place her in a strange home. Others may feel differently but I could never do that. Yes you are correct in saying that they, in most cases, should not be living alone but a situation such as you describe is different. I've not faced that scenario because my past pigs have passed away within a very short time of each other. They were older pigs and most likely were a few weeks apart in age. They were both almost 8 years of age.

I have two senior pigs now and when one passes away I do intend to get two more pigs but I do not believe that I will place the young ones with my remaining senior pig. Unless my pigs pass away in just a short time of each other I will be faced with having a lone pig living by herself. I will just place the young ones near her so she can see them and hear them.

I don't think there is anything wrong with just keeping your remaining pig alone as long as you give her plenty of attention. If you were talking about a very young pig having to live the rest of her life alone that would be a different thing. It's obvious that you love your pigs very much and have given them a wonderful life so don't feel badly about allowing your remaining pig to just enjoy being an only child for the time she has left.

For me what I would do would greatly depend on the age and health of the remaining guinea pig when their current friends passes.

If they are 5/6/7 and in good health when their friend dies I would probably try to find another senior guinea pig of similar age to adopt to house with them. If they were older or their health was already beginning to decline prior to their friend passing I would probably leave them on their own for their remaining time and give them plenty of attention.

I have a 6 yr old pig whose brother was pts. I adopted a much younger brother for him. The rescue offered to take my new boy back as a surrender should my older pig die and I don't want to keep pigs anymore. Maybe find a rescue like that? I'm not fond of the idea myself as I love my boys, but it is at least an option.

My opinion is I would not rehome an older pig. Losing a buddy in a familiar home is one thing, but then losing his home as well would be pretty stressful.

I have a single female who will be 5 this year. She is healthy, active, and social with us. I change her hideys and cage arrangement around each day, and have various interactive toys for enrichment, and she has a little stuffed bunny to cuddle by (or bite on the nose depending on her mood).

I would wait and and see how things work out and when the time comes, see how your solo pig adjusts.

I completely understand taking a break from getting more pigs. They are wonderful pets but they have short lifespans and the losses take a toll on our emotions. You have really been through a lot and I wish you well.

I am in a similar situation with my pig. I have had pigs the last eight years. I am now at a point where I think I am ready to take a break. I started with one pig, then quickly learned they are social animals and got a second one. Then when one of the pair die I have gotten another rescue. This last pair I have had were together 4.5 years, when one of them passed away early winter. My lone surviving pig I have now had for almost six years and she was an adult rescue when I got her. She has now been by herself for few months. I don't want her to be lonely, but I have no idea how much longer she will be with me. There is a guinea pig rescue in my town. My fear is that if I fostered a pig for the rest of her life, I won't want to give it back to the rescue when she passes, and the cycle would continue.

How is your current pig doing on her own? Is she eating, maintaining weight, active in her cage, and interacting with you? I have a single pig who was alone when I adopted her from the Humane Society and she has been healthy and active on her own.

Some things I do to keep her mentally stimulated is I rearrange her cage each day and switch out different hideys. Guinea pigs memorize escape routes so this gives her something new to learn each day. I also have a portable fence made of connected grids that I set up for floor time. I’ve used sections of cardboard boxes to design a maze for her to navigate.

I cut up veggies and put them in a whiffle ball so she rolls the ball around the cage to get her treats. I do the same thing with her pellets, I put those in a cat treat ball. And I have a little stuffed bunny for her to snuggle by when she sleeps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.