Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Sow with Uterine Fibroids

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, very rare poster, but I felt I needed to share this situation with everyone here and anyone who might come along and read it. This is my personal story about something there is little information on; uterine fibroids. This is a story about one of my sows, Mocha.

What Are Uterine Fibroids?

Very simple, they are benign tumors on the uterus. They are extremely common in female humans. They are also the most common tumor of the uterus in Guinea Pigs.

What Symptoms Did Mocha have?
-The first symptom was crust on her nipples in March.

-She then developed a patch of hair loss on her chest and one of her legs by May

-Her weigh went down only about an ounce or two, her shoulders appeared bonier, and her coat was unkempt.

-By August she had developed two patches of hair loss on both of her thighs, her right flank, her shoulders, general thinning on the belly, and one small spot on her nose.

-By this time, I could also palpate the tumor easily with finger. It was irregular in shape, immobile, and hard. Do not confuse the uterus and ovaries themselves for a tumor.

-These symptoms should sound oddly familiar with the symptoms of a much more common issue; ovarian cysts.

At The Vet

During the ultrasound, I obviously expected cysts. When the vet said she saw no cysts, but a solid mass. She said cancer. My heart sank. Spoiler alert, it was not cancer. At first we decided to make her comfortable and give her metacam. She is 4.5 years old and the tumor had a blood supply that was not a good combination for surgery. Then I began researching on my own. After a few months, we went a different route.

What we ended up deciding, with my recommendation actually, was the implant. The implant is a gonadotropin releasing hormone superagonist, which basically means it greatly decreases estrogen and progesterone. Estrogen is sometimes released in high amounts, which affect tumor proliferation. By stopping this, it can reverse and shrink the tumor, as well as reverse symptoms.

Get To The Point Already!

She received the implant on 10/17/20. Today, 11/12/20 I can no longer feel the tumor at all, her coat is kempt , and her hair is starting to grow back. It’s almost like a miracle!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you SO much for sharing your girls story here, @Jake8771 . If it helps even one owner with their piggy and gets them the help and treatment they need, it was worth the effort.

I hope your little lady recovers well and has a long, wonderful life.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Some pictures for reference

Attachments

90A8A789-10C4-48FC-88C8-0EF64D3D4B01.jpg 14A588AC-B199-47B7-9FDE-52EDE23D1489.jpg 8E36C97C-0BD4-4F09-9A55-FA846AF198FE.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.