Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Help Needed - Male cavy making ODD new sound - Has anyone heard this?

AMC1227

Cavy Gazer
VIDEO HERE: [video]https://imgur.com/a/4zqY6pX[/video]

The sound in question happens at about the 2 second mark in the video I posted above. The sound is coming from the white guinea pig

To elaborate, my guinea pig is a male and about 3.5 years old, with no prior medical problems. I heard him make this noise yesterday for the first time, it's a sound much lower than his usual wheaking/squeaking and it's hard to describe. I have not found any info or other recordings of this sound online, and it doesn't sound like a cough/sneeze.

He is eating, drinking, and pooping/peeing as he normally does. I have another male guinea pig that is the same age and they get along like brothers, they almost never "fight" so I don't think this sound is directed towards the other guinea pig.

I called the emergency vet but can't get in with them until tomorrow, which is why I'm looking for help here in the meantime.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not entirely certain, but it sure sounds like that was a pretty big fart. Keep an eye on him for bloat, and make sure you have infant gas drops (Ovol) on hand just in case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.