Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Thoughts on my cage idea

Nailfoot

Cavy Gazer
Hiya guys and gals. My first post here!

I want to build a cage for my two piggies. I plan to put it in a hallway that doesn't have a lot of activity. The dimensions of the cage would have to be 12 feet long and 19 inches wide. That's about 18 square feet, which is of course great for two piggies!

However, I am concerned that being only 19 inches wide may still feel cramped. Any experiences with such an odd cage size?

One that narrow might be ok for two females, but boars might be more aggressive.

But my question is why you're putting it in an area with not much activity. They're cute critters, and provide endless hours of entertainment if they're where you can see them an interact with them frequently. Mine always lived in our den, which was the hub of the house.

Maybe I was a bit misleading! It's only me and my daughter in the house, so none of the place has much activity! I plan to build the cage on 4 foot legs so the cage is up in the air.

It'll be easier to interact with them and we won't appear so big and menacing! Also I'll have a lot of storage under it. A large 50 pound box of Timothy hay will fit right under it according to my calculations!

When I had pigs before, I kept them in very large storage totes. Those were easy to clean, but certainly not big enough. I'm not gonna make that mistake again!

I'll get some pictures up once I finalize my plans and build the thing.

Having the cage raised is a good idea. Four feet is pretty high, though, unless you're both tall. Remember you have to reach across it to clean it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.