Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing dad, mom, and baby girl

JaciV

Cavy Gazer
Hi all...I have a tale as old as time: adopted 2 girls from humane society, but one was a dude. Dad has since been neutered (6 weeks since surgery as of tomorrow), mom gave birth to 3 babies 4 weeks ago (2 babies went to new home together), and mom and remaining female baby have been separated from dad by an insert in their (huge) cage since this whole debacle started. Since dad is 6 weeks post-op tomorrow, I'd like everyone to live together as a happy family. Will this be possible? Obvs I will keep a close eye on dad and baby. Or do I need to wait longer to introduce baby? Mom and dad appear to want to be together. Or if anyone has a time machine that I could use to be able to just get a second dog instead of pigs, that would be great! (Just kidding--Potato, Cookie and Dumpling are our family now, we love them.) Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds very doable. Six weeks is plenty long enough time for him to be sterile. Just introduce them as if they'd never seen each other.

Here's the new link for the bible on introductions: https://www.guinealynx.info/introductions.html

JaciV

Cavy Gazer
It sounds very doable. Six weeks is plenty long enough time for him to be sterile. Just introduce them as if they'd never seen each other.

Here's the new link for the bible on introductions: https://www.guinealynx.info/introductions.html

Thank you for the response, bpatters. The introduction went smoothly. For most of the day everything's been friendly. For the last half-hour, though, the male (Potato) has been very randy. Mom (Cookie) seems to mostly be putting up with it. Do you think this is pent-up desire (I can't believe I typed that) and should pass, or is this a new normal? I can barely look him in the eye. Until today I had never seen him mount her, and they lived in the same cage for a month.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not unusual as a dominance thing. When pigs have been separated for a while, there'll definitely be a dominance struggle. Cookie can probably put a stop to it when she gets tired of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.