Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea heat timeline question

Gambolshroud

Cavy Gazer
2 weeks ago I got a second female guinea pig to live with my 1 year old female. They've been getting along great until this week. My oldest is now rumble strutting constantly and it's been going on pretty much all week, though I can't remember exactly when it started. I know she's in heat today based on what her privates look like, but is it normal for her to be rumble strutting this long?? Is it a combination of dominance and being in heat? Should I separate them until she's done being in heat, so she's not constantly chasing the little one? Her rumbles are keeping me up at night and I'm at a loss at what to do.

Usually heat is 1-2 days every 14-16 days.

How old is the new pig? Excessive rumbling can be a sign of ovarian cysts, but they don't usually occur before a pig is about three years old or so.

Pay close attention to how long it actually lasts, and how long between episodes. That'll give you a clue as to whether it's only heat related. If it doesn't follow that pattern, I'd get her to a vet for an ultrasound.

Usually heat is 1-2 days every 14-16 days.

How old is the new pig? Excessive rumbling can be a sign of ovarian cysts, but they don't usually occur before a pig is about three years old or so.

Pay close attention to how long it actually lasts, and how long between episodes. That'll give you a clue as to whether it's only heat related. If it doesn't follow that pattern, I'd get her to a vet for an ultrasound.

The new pig is a few months old. A lot smaller than my oldest. Could she be trying to show dominance? She isn't doing it as much today.

Yep, sure could be a dominance thing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.