Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur I can’t tell if my guineapig has mites— No money for vet + lockdown because of corona

elvisongrass

Cavy Slave
Hello I’m 17 years old! I’m a soon to be 5 year guinea pig owner! I have a black and white furbaby who I absolutely adore named Oreo. I used to have another one called Elvis Parsley, but he passed away due to cavian leukemia. As I love her to death and am still saddened by Elvis’s passing, I can’t help but feel paranoid over the slightest thing that happens. Oreo has given birth twice— which was surprising as she was supposed to be a he. lol Anyways, she’s eating pretty well, and poops very frequently, the only thing that concerns me is that she scratches herself frequently and has dandruff. I haven’t seen a bald spot, but she is a long haired guinea pig. I’m also a little concerned about her weight, as I can sometimes feel the ending or back of her rib maybe? She is on the slim side but she eats so much, and poops so fast that I don’t know what to think. The unfortunate thing is that my dad has kidney disease and goes to dialysis frequently and we’re very low on cash so we can’t afford vet visits. And not to mention because of the coronavirus, there isn’t anything opened anyways. But still I can’t help but worry for her, for now I’ve just been keeping her living space tidy and restocking her hay. I’m at loss at what to do, I’ve been mulling over this for a couple months now, and Oreo hasn’t had any bald spots or bled from any scabs... is it just severe guineapig dandruff? should I use a humidifier...? I checked for fleas and lice, but I see nothing. Any recommendations would really help. I just love her dearly, and I don’t know what I would do if I lost her because I was careless.

Also, we don’t have a scale either so I can’t tell her weight— when I get money I hope to get one. :(

elvisongrass

Cavy Slave
Some more info: I feel terrible about the money situation— When we first got Oreo and Elvis, we were doing good enough to get them regular check ups, but because of my dad’s health slowly deteriorating, hospital bills had to be paid. So we adopted them with the intention of fully being responsible for the both. For the scale, we originally had one, but it broke ��— everything is coming with bad timing, I can only hope for the best.

mummytomyboys

Cavy Gazer
I have always said this as its important and one of the biggest needs to owning a pet: if you can't afford to take your pet to the vets when needed, then don't have one. So cruel poor piggie :( this is what happens when parents let their 'children' have pets that they do not want to be responsibly for, where do they think vet bills and food and hay ect is going to come from? I truly wonder. Not to sound horrible but it really is important thinking about all this before getting any kind of pet, vet bills can be pricey.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

elvisongrass

Cavy Slave
I have always said this as its important and one of the biggest needs to owning a pet: if you can't afford to take your pet to the vets when needed, then don't have one. So cruel poor piggie :( this is what happens when parents let their 'children' have pets that they do not want to be responsibly for, where do they think vet bills and food and hay ect is going to come from? I truly wonder. Not to sound horrible but it really is important thinking about all this before getting any kind of pet, vet bills can be pricey.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I managed to get money for the vet visit after calling around and asking— He said that she had a little more dandruff than an usual piggy, and it couldve been from the dry air, as it was cold and dry for awhile near me. But for the most part said that she’s at a decent weight (1133 grams last I checked) and eating normally and having normal excrement. When we first got them, we were in good financial status and took them to vet visits frequently— but my dad had to retire for his kidney disease, and we’ve been waiting for social security for a couple months now. I’m thankful for my family to be able to help me, I’ve started saving emergency money for her, and for future vet visits(money from early graduation present). I put on a humidifier(not too close because I don’t want to risk her respiratory health) Right now she doesn’t have as much dandruff from what I can see, and she’s no longer scratching herself, unless it’s a normal amount. Lately she’s been alot more affectionate, and cuddly all spread out and purring! XD Thank you for the talk though, I really appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.