Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Outdoor cages/ hutches?

harleyholyhonda

Cavy Slave
I live in North Carolina and my S.O. want to put the guinea pigs out side and I was wondering if that is a thing I could do. And if it is what cage or hutch would be best. Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We don't recommend it.

For one thing, there's no way to protect them from stinging/biting insects. For another, the temperature varies too widely to make it safe. In NC, it's far too hot in the summer, as they can die of heat stroke at anything above 85 degrees. And in the winter, it's far too cold.

And for a third, they're prey animals, and as such, they can hide illnesses until it's too late to save them. The changes are subtle, and if you're not with them every day, you'll miss them. That can mean the difference between life and death for your pig.

But just out of curiosity, why would you want pets that you don't keep with you? They're endlessly entertaining -- mine lived in my living room right by my recliner. They were far more fun to watch than the TV!

petluv

Cavy Slave
I don’t believe in keeping ANY pets outside. Not even dogs or cats. If you are going to get a ‘pet’ and then just keep it outside, it ceases to be a pet which is taken in to be part of your household and family, hence the term PET. No I wouldn’t do this at all, if you can’t (or worse don’t want) to keep your piggies inside with you...PLEASE be kind to the creatures and don’t get them in the first place!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.