Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hey Guys! It's nice to meet you!

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Cupcake.jpgHello, it's nice to meet you all! This is my guinea pig Cupcake. I just got her. She's my first piggie and my sister recently rescued her. I made an account here so I can get tips for raising her the best I can! So expect to see more posts from me! (Note: She has a cage, but I couldn't get a good picture of her with it.. Also, I know that I should have another guinea pig. I'm planning on getting one later down the line. I just need to get a bigger cage first.. (Which I'm gonna get really soon.)) Once again, it's nice to meet you guys! I was going to join a couple days ago, but for some reason I couldn't on my phone so I had to wait until I got to go on a PC. BTW, sorry if I somehow posted this wrong. I literally just signed up and I haven't really used this PC in like forever. Speaking of which, can somebody help me navigate this site? Once again, it's nice to meet you guys!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Do you know what her previous home was like and how old is might be?

First tip I can give, which you might already be working on, is getting those nails a bit shorter for her as it can't be comfortable for her to walk with them that long. I personally find it easiest to trim my guinea pigs nails with cat nail scissors.

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
No and no, sadly. I just know that my sister saved her from the freezing cold. And thank you! But I don't know if I can trust myself with scissors. I might accidentally cut too much.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Use whatever tool you are most comfortable with, just start off slowly, you could easily cut off half of what she has now and still be nowhere near the quick. It should be slightly easier because she has white nails, look for the pink bit of the nail as that is the bit you don't want to cut too close to.

It is so nice of your sister to save her, and you for taking her in and stepping up to care for her.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
That's awesome you rescued her, and she's so cute!! She looks like a sweetie.
I use human nail clippers for trimming my guinea pig nails. Most people use the scissor type, but the human ones have always worked very well for me, and I'm the most comfortable with them.
You'll be able to learn so much just reading around the forum, I know I have! Under almost every section are different permanent "sticky" threads at the very top. These have all different info and help for new piggy owners, and answers to common questions and situations. The different sections are dedicated to different topics; food and nutrition, medical care, cages, and everything guinea pig . This site has also helped me a lot: www.guineapigmanual.com

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.