Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Wild Snakes trying to eat my piggies?

mochaoreos

Cavy Slave
I was going outside to rinse off one of my fleece liners before tossing it in the laundry, and I almost stepped on a giant gopher snake. I dump out poops, bedding, and hay from their kitchen into a black trash bag every day, and throw it in the outside trash cans. I'm wondering if there is any way that this is attracting snakes? I live on 8 acres in the mountains, so snakes are common but this one was very close to the house. It even slithered along my front doorway and along a wall where the cage is on the inside. Now I'm super scared that my pigs are going to be eaten by a snake that gets in through the walls. I'm well aware this is a long shot that anyone on here has any experience at all with this, but I'm petrified with fear that I'm going to lose my lovely piggies. :sad: I don't really know what to do. Sorry if this is the wrong prefix for this post, I'm so worried and yet I can't help but think I might just be paranoid.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
Make sure your lot is clear of tall grass, wood piles, or anyplace that would make a nice place for mice or rabbits to hide. It will also reduce cover for the snakes. Make sure your crawl spaces are clean and secured. If you do not let your piggies out in the yard I would scatter mothballs around. They seem to deter some snake species.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.