Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New Pig and It’s Absolutely Terrified.

Poupoaa

Cavy Gazer
Just got a brand new pig (Poupoa’a), and she is starting to worry me. I used to have a pig that passed about a year ago, and I’ve finally decided to get another. In the store she was very excited and bubbly, but once she got to my house and I set up the cage there was a total personality switch. Now she doesn’t even leave her house to eat, drink, or poop, and runs from me despite me trying to give her treats and veggies. I have a few other pets (dogs and a bird) and am reusing a thoroughly cleaned cage from my old guinea pig. Should I be worried or is this normal?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Totally normal. Pigs are prey animals, and until they get used to you and their surroundings, they'll be scared.

Try covering one end of the cage with towel, and putting their food and water underneath the covered area. Sit next to the cage and talk to her extensively, so she gets used to the sound of your voice. Also offering yummy treats will go a long way, once she learns what they are.

Also, a buddy would help her tremendously.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
Shy piggies are not uncommon when they first come home. It's a new environment, and it takes time for them to adjust, some faster than others. I can testify that sitting next to the cage and talking to them works wonders. That was my primary way of socializing with my boys, especially with my skittish Mercury, and after three months, both boys are pretty used to me. Just take your time and be patient with a new pig.

Piglet333

Cavy Slave
My pig was the same way, I actually had tp put hay food and her water bottle in her house or just outside of it for weeks but now she is the most friendly pig ever, she loves to get head pets from anyone that walks by and is not shy at all

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I second getting her a cagemate. One of the reasons she was probably so happy and outgoing in the petstore is because there were other pigs around. Guinea pigs are herd animals and need to have others of their own kind around to feel secure. Do note, however, that we do not recommend buying pigs from pet stores on this forum. Try checking your local animal shelter or do a google search of small animal/guinea pig rescues in your area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.