Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Guinea pig owner looking for advice pls

Lisaj84

Cavy Slave
Hi I’m Lisa and I bought two guinea pigs about a month ago. Both are girls called Polly & Daisy. I got them from my local pet shop and there 2years old. Polly has settled in very well and quickly while daisy has taken a it linger but finally eats out my hand and enjoys snuggles. They have both recently started to growl all day & night long at each other. I’ve noticed daisy is trying to mount Polly which then causes snapping and growling. Also Polly will pinch Daisy’s food from her mouth which again causes the growling. Wondering if this is just normal behaviour and I should leave alone or if it’s something I should be worried about ??

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Totally normal behaviour.

The only things you really need to worry about are bloodshed, or one bullies the other to the point where they cannot eat.

In all honesty, your girls sound just like my two boys, and I know for a fact that they love each other to bits.

Lisaj84

Cavy Slave
Totally normal behaviour.

The only things you really need to worry about are bloodshed, or one bullies the other to the point where they cannot eat.

In all honesty, your girls sound just like my two boys, and I know for a fact that they love each other to bits.

Aww thank you for replying. So glad to hear that this seems normal as I was getting quite worried incase it was something more. So I should just leave them and not intervene

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely. They're not hurting each other, and more than likely are just playing.

Lisaj84

Cavy Slave
That’s good to know there alright. Thanks again for your help. New the having guinea pigs and just wanted to make sure they were good. Thank you

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The growling sound is probably rumbling or rumble strutting. Very normal sound they will make in general and towards other guinea pigs for a number of reasons. Sounds like your girls are getting along quite well, and they are solving their own small disputes in the way good guinea pig pairings normally do.

As they are both sows it is possible you may also begin to notice they might get more moody towards each other for a day or two on a repeated cycle. Some sows can get a bit hormonal while in heat, and each sow will go into heat once every roughly 2 weeks on her own cycle pattern, this can cause them to pester their cage mate. This doesn't happen to all sows but it certainly isn't all that uncommon either.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hope you've turned them both over and compared their private parts to make sure they're the same sex. I would never take a pet stop's word for the sex of a guinea pig.

Lisaj84

Cavy Slave
I hope you've turned them both over and compared their private parts to make sure they're the same sex. I would never take a pet stop's word for the sex of a guinea pig.

Yes thank you I have checked them both and are both girls. They have settled in great now. Still have there little growls, which it’s mainly the one pig that growls but get in really well. I have noticed the pet shops tend to give different advise and care than actual guinea pig owners. Sry for late reply my internet has been down for ages

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.