Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My Guinea Pig Won't Play

Pigmommy

Cavy Gazer
Whenever taking my guinea pig Oreo out to play he goes back in his cage immediately. I have no idea why he does this. I have had him for a few days so I'm still getting to know him. I have tried putting food in the play area and water but still he refuses to stay out of his cage. The play area has a lot more space than in his cage and I have a tunnel and a few hides. I don't understand please help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's a guinea pig. The chances of him playing with you are slim and none. Guinea pigs need a buddy of their own kind, but even then they don't play together.

I think you probably didn't do enough research before getting a guinea pig. If you wanted something to play with you, a kitten or a puppy would have been a far better choice. The joy in having guinea pigs comes in watching them interact with each other more than with you.

Pigmommy

Cavy Gazer
He's a guinea pig. The chances of him playing with you are slim and none. Guinea pigs need a buddy of their own kind, but even then they don't play together.

I think you probably didn't do enough research before getting a guinea pig. If you wanted something to play with you, a kitten or a puppy would have been a far better choice. The joy in having guinea pigs comes in watching them interact with each other more than with you.

I'm not specifically playing with him, I'm watching him play on his own. I have had a guinea pig before and this wasn't a problem. Guinea pigs can be active. I am also planning on getting another but I'm just concerned about getting along. I just want to know if the reason for Oreo not wanting to run around and go through tunnels and hidys is because he is distressed. I want to ensure he is happy. Also play time is a very good thing for guinea pigs, they should play about 1-3 hours per day. If my pig doesn't want to play at all that's concerning.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you have a cage setup similar to my guinea pig Lacey. I have a large play pen that she is in most of the day, then a smaller cage at night. Lacey doesn’t want to be picked up, and most guinea pigs are like that. Some tolerate it better, others may just want to hide. It takes a while for them to relax in a new place and then feel safe enough to go for a good run.

When Oreo gets in the large area, does he explore at all? Usually guinea pigs take a walk around a new area just to memorize where to run and hide from predators.

Is he eating well otherwise? Plenty of Timothy hay, some fresh veggies, and a couple of tablespoons of pellets daily. If he has a favorite food, try feeding him that one food only in the large area and make a food trail that he has to follow. He should forage by nature, so scattering food gives him something to do and will make him more inquisitive.

The tunnels and hideys should help him feel safe. Also, a piece of fabric over one corner of the play area comforting and may help him feel safe.

Pigmommy

Cavy Gazer
Sometimes he will explore, other times he just sits in one spot, and I have tried putting tomatoes in there, which he really likes those and I think it does help a bit. As for his eating, he has a diet because of being a bit overweight, his previous owners gave him too many kibbles. Thank you for the info, I'll try putting a blanket over a corner.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.