Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Baby dragging a foot

2Ellen

Cavy Slave
There is a 2 month old female who needs a home. According to the owner who posted on CL, she says, "The baby seems to have a hard time with her right foot. She drags it occasionally. I looked it up on google and it sounds like a normal phenomenon but I wanted to make sure to let you know". She goes on to say, "Baby - very laid back and lets me pet her, also takes veggies from my hands without being scared of me, shes tiny" and has "quite an appetite especially for lettuce".

I did a bit of research online and didn't come up with anything saying it's a "normal phenomenon" like the owner says. I did see some articles about the possibility of a Vitamin C deficiency but since I've only had one adult many years ago I wanted to ask you what is your opinion of what is going on with baby's foot? I don't want to get in over my head since I'm not an experienced cavy owner.

It could be a birth injury, or an injury from being dropped or mishandled, or something congenital.

A vitamin C deficiency would be extremely unlikely to only affect one limb.

Could you arrange with the owner to take her for a check-up with an exotic vet and see what s/he says? I'm guessing it's nothing that's going to get worse, but I'm not a vet and haven't seen the pig.

I could check. She is 2 hours away from me. She said she just recently introduced the baby to an older female pig and wondered if the older one got a bit aggressive with her but isn't sure. They aren't bonded at the moment. Maybe the introduction got a bit carried away and there's nothing to worry about?

So the foot dragging is new? Then it's almost certainly some kind of injury, but it could be completely accidental.

There doesn't seem to be a way to get it checked out by an exotic vet. I'm 2 hours away and so should I pass on meeting the 2 month in hopes that someone who lives in the same town can take her to the vet or even better, someone with experience can help out? I'm thinking I should pass since I'm pretty much new at owning guinea pigs.

Actually, if I lived two hours from an exotic vet, I wouldn't get a guinea pig at all. Small animal vets are not qualified to treat guinea pigs -- "small animal" means dogs and cats. The pig will eventually need veterinary help, and there won't be any available to you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.