Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Blood in Urine/Still Squeaking after bladder stone removal

cheyanneh

Cavy Slave
About two weeks ago Oliver (6yrs old) had a bladder stone removed and had a small bladder flush. The DR. was able to insert a catheter and flush the bladder stone out instead of making an incision. He also just started Cystease (about 1/2 a capsule a day).

Everything was going smoothly, he was full of energy and no blood in urine. Now today, he has blood in his urine and is screeching while peeing. I'm so scared he has another stone. I did skip the Cystease on Tuesday just because I was going to see how he did without it.
Any suggestions? He is still urinating. The urine appears to be cloudy/bloody and sometimes clear with blood in it. I also uped the dosage of the cystease and gave him 1 full capsule today because the vet said he has alot of sludge in his sladder and it is very inflammed.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Their are people and cavies who tend to be "stone formers" and you may have repeat episodes. He could have another stone, or simply bladder sludge.

It is possible to flush his bladder by syringing copious amounts of liquids. I had a similar situation with a sow and for four days syringed Pedialyte to her. At the end of that four days, she had an ultrasound which showed that the sludge had been cleared. Buy the generic unflavored type of Pedialyte which is much less expensive and you an get it at a Target, Walgreens, etc. Most cavies like the flavor, but if Oliver doesn't, you can add a little baby food or unsweetened juice to flavor it.

That being said, sows have a relatively short not-so-narrow urethra so it is possible to flush even a stone out. Boars have a much longer, narrower urethra so it is often difficult to flush their bladder. Sounds as though you were lucky with Oliver the first time. What I'm suggesting for Oliver may/may not work for him, but it is a good first step for you while waiting for the Vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.