Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Have a Guinea pig, want to get another so she isn't Lonely. Parents don't believe me

KiltCult01

Cavy Gazer
Hi there! I very recently got my very first Guinea pig! I am a bit embarrassed to say I didn't do much research before getting one because my mom had one when she was a child. So I thought going by her word would be fine enough. I've been doing my own research ever since I got her to try and figure out the best way to make her feel comfortable and happy in her new home. I came across that they need to be in pairs of two something I hadn't been told by anyone throughout the purchase or by my mother. So after doing more digging I decided that another one would be better for her to feel safer and happier. However when I went to my parents about the information I had found, they both told me that I was "overdoing it" and that "she'll only be friendly to the guinea pig then." or "she's fine as long as you pay enough attention to her." I don't really know what to do in this situation, I'm a bit lost. I feel like I'm kinda messing up as an owner, I mean I probs have since I didn't do my own research when I got her. But any advice on what to do here?

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I think that it is safe to assume that many people don't do proper research before getting a new pet, so nothing to be too embarrassed about! It's good that you are now taking the time to educate yourself so your piggy can live a happy and healthy life. Humans cannot speak guinea pig, so paying extra attention to a lone pig isn't very helpful.

You must also consider how your parents feel about the situation. Your parents agreed to purchase you one guinea pig, not two. Is it you or your parents who purchased your pig, its living arrangements, and food? Who will be paying for the vet bills? If your parents are responsible for all of these expenses, I can see why they would not want to buy another pig. If it is you who is covering all these costs, perhaps you can show them some videos, or forum posts about the topic to help educate them?

KiltCult01

Cavy Gazer
Thanks a lot for your words. I am the one who paid for Roxie, and her cage/food/etc. But they just don't want another one, I'm not exactly sure why. I have tried to explain to them about my research, how every page/forum/and website has told me Guinea pigs should have a little friend. They still don't seem to care/don't believe it. Will she be okay alone? I heard that they can become very stressed or depressed without another pig to be with. I'd get one if I could but, I just want to know whether she'll be aright alone. I'm trying to spend as much time as I can with her, and let her play out of her cage and explore my room to try and make her feel more comfortable/happy.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I know many people who own a single guinea pig and swear up and down that they are the happiest pigs on the entire planet. Guinea pigs are herd animals and nothing can really change that... I strongly believe that guinea pigs cannot achieve their maximum happiness if they live alone. It's quite unfortunate that your parents will not allow you to have another pig. Like I said earlier, you can play and spend extra time with your piggy, but you cannot communicate with her. Did they actually read the information that you provided them with?

KiltCult01

Cavy Gazer
I'm not sure, in all honesty. They seemed a little peeved about my insistence so I let the topic be. I think I might wait a bit before talking to them again. My sister agrees with me though, and even offered to buy me another piggie so Roxie isn't as lonely. But she told me a to wait a bit first, a few weeks or so (I'd like to get one as soon as possible but I'll take what I can get). So at this point I really just need my parents okay with allowing another animal in the house. I'm hoping to sit down with them, I just don't want to upset them because I think my mom will feel like I don't trust her advice or something since she's insistent that Roxie will be okay by herself and as long as i spend time with her, she'll be happy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.