Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Washing Fleece

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
So last weekend I went to the nearest guinea pig rescue in preparation for adopting my pigs within the next few months. The head of the rescue gave me a little magazine of care tips, and inside it said that I should use some animal-friendly laundry detergent and vinegar for washing the fleece. Do I have to use a specific laundry detergent for the fleece, or can I use what I use for my own laundry (with the vinegar too)? I use a non-scented Arm and Hammer detergent (I can find out the exact name if needs be), and I just want to see if this is something else I need to budget for in regards to my future piggies.

Thanks!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
You will want to use the Free (of perfumes) and Clear (of dyes) detergent. I get mine from Costco and various brands come on sale frequently but even at the regular price, it is cost effective.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use unscented tide and bleach and the hottest water I can get.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
So my family uses this kind of detergent (broken link removed) since we have some problems with sensitive skin.

I'm in the process of getting the fleece to wick. In the past I haven't noticed a scent in my laundry, but when I washed the fleece earlier today, I smelled a bit of a scent on the fleece. Not sure if it was because it just needed more time to air dry, but it has me worried that it might end up being too strong for the pigs. It's not overpowering for me, but I'm not the one who will be living on it. Should I start using something else for the fleece?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whatever scent it has, the pigs noses will be right in it. Remember that they're prey animals, and have a much better sense of smell than you or I do. They also have sensitive respiratory tracts.

I use Tide free and clear. It has no scents, no harsh chemicals, and is safe for sensitive skin.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you rinsing the fleece twice? Washing in hot water?

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
Are you rinsing the fleece twice? Washing in hot water?

Yes, I washed the fleece in hot water and then put it through the rinse cycle again. I'm still smelling detergent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.