Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Guinea Dad Fleece Liner 2.0?

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I have been using bedding for a while now. It's not bad and cost isn't an issue, but we kind of don't like how it creates a mess in our house and since we got a third pig and expanded their cage we're essentially creating a bag of trash every 2-3 days. We initially gave fleece a try and though it saved us money, it proved to require more maintenance than we wanted so we ditched it.

Seems like it has everything we need since you kind of just drop the fleece in, let the pigs do their business for a week, then take it out and clean it. There's no underbedding required and cleaning it is as simple as beating the fur/hay off it and tossing it in the wash. Has anyone given this a try and can comment on it?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I also tried a guineadad liner and wasn't super impressed. I mean, it worked, but it wasn't superior in absorbency compared to my liners I sew myself with fleece and uhaul.

I definitely do not think you could go a whole week before changing one of these out, unless you had multiple smaller fleece pads you used in high traffic areas. And with this liner you still have to do daily sweeping of poops and hay. You cannot let that build up for a week.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's a thread over at GL about a pig that was sick for weeks and the vet was recommending euthanasia. The problem turned out to be the pig inhaling waste vapors from the Guinea Dad liners, where she sat in the pockets a lot of the time. They took the liners out and the pig recovered.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
My comments about the GuineaDad liners are in the thread that Snugglybutt referenced above. I love those liners and change it weekly but do have smaller pee pads in high traffic areas. I believe that is common, regardless which brand of fleece liners one uses. What I especially like is the bamboo fiber absorbent layer but not sure if it is as absorbent as the uhaul.

About the GuineaDad thread on GL, it was a little confusing because there were multiple threads. I believe the user feels the pocket was the cause but the vet did not. I was also on that thread and the user and I go to the same vet for our pigs. My piggies have consistently been under the pocket for 4 months, since I switched from paper bedding, with no health issues. Because of the other user's experience, I propped up the pocket for more air flow (just in case). Last night, when I did the weekly cage cleaning, I flipped the pocket over, so that is under the padding and is no longer accessible. If you are concerned about the pocket, you can always purchase the version with no pocket. Since there is no pocket right now, my piggies have taken to sleeping in their fleece tunnels now. Apparently they prefer to have something over them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.