Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Purring? Good or bad

Cakegirl554

Cavy Slave
So I have looked up purring a few times and my pig Hershey does it. Is it good or bad. Sometimes she doesn?t it in the cage while talking to Mini and while I?m petting her. So i would like some feedback on whether it?s good or bad. Thanks

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Do you mean the helicopter noise? That's a pretty common sound. It's very amusing to hear, especially when they're talking to each other. Sometimes they make it when they hear a noise they don't recognize, and it startles them. When they're playing to see who is the dominant one, and chasing each other, is when they make it the most.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
My boys purr at each other constantly, but they don't really like each other. They also purr at me when I try pick them up, as they hate being picked up. In these situations I think they're sounds of annoyance. When my piggies are actually on my lap and are being pet, they let out shorter purrs. I'm not really sure if that purring means they're happy or annoyed. They also make short purrs when they're munching on vegetables. I like to think that the short purrs mean happiness : P

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You can't really categorize a rumble until you know the personality of the individual cavy. For instance, Sparky's favorite vocalization is a rumble........so much so that we call him "Mr. Rumbles". He makes the noise in all kinds of situations from being petted, to being annoyed, settling down to snuggle, hearing a strange noise on t.v., etc., etc. It can mean almost anything depending on the situation.

Cavilicious

Cavy Slave
Hmm when I pet them on their butts they purr, which makes it seem bad, but I think if they really didn't like it they would squirm or run away, so I don't think they mind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.