Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Appropriate Cage Size?

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Hi. Going to start getting supplies for the new Gp now and over the next several months. The most expensive item's gonna be getting the cage, so I think I'll start with that first. is 30 inches wide by 36 inches long big enough/ I know that size can hod a snap on food bowl, water bottle, nestbox/house thingy, but will that leave enough room for normal running and playing? I have a spot that'll fit that size perfectly, but if it's too small I will need to look at where else in my house to put the cage. Also, it needs very small wire, and a top that can be closed or propped open. With Panther I don't want a cage without a top, and it's easier for me to reach in through a top than a front door (like in the petstore cages you see). Also, is there a special floor to keep all those Texel curls cleaner? Or is thatmore a question of bedding/ Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It'll do, barely, for one pig. But pigs are herd animals, and you really should have at least two.

Closet shelving makes an awesome cage lid.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
OO. I don't want something that small then. Thanks. What size Should I be looking into? Closet shelving? Never would've thought of that. Will have to find a place for something larger then, depending on the size. Probably it'll wind up in my kitchen, oh well if it does.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Closet shelving makes a very strong and sturdy cage/lid. I would highly recommend making your own cage instead of buying one. When I had my closet shelving cage it was great and is pet proof. You could still do the sides out of grids and a lid out of the shelving, but a cage that is all shelving looks good and is very strong.

Here's a link to my thread a couple of years ago about building one if you're interested: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/112874-Closet-Shelving-Cage-General-Questions

As far as texels go, I have 2 of them and I wouldn't really recommend them for beginners. They have quite demanding fur and are not always the easiest to care for.

I would strongly suggest getting electric trimmers, both of mine hate having their fur cut by scissors, but do better with the clippers. I keep their butts, stomachs, around their genitals and back legs trimmed very short and then leave them fluffy on top.

If you use disposable bedding you will find that they pick up a lot of junk in their coats that you have to constantly pick out to avoid matting. I find it's easier keeping them on fleece, but you have to spot clean frequently, or they will get poop stuck in their fur.

Other than that I don't do much to their hair, just run my fingers through it every day or every other day to make sure there's no tangles or hay bits lodged in. I never comb them, they HATE being brushed and I bathe them every couple of months with gorgeous guineas shampoo. I've also used their coconeem melt as my one girl is prone to dry skin and it makes her nice and fluffy for a little bit!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My whole cage is built of closet shelving zip-tied together. It's very sturdy, and I've had it for years. It is, however, harder to remodel than one made with grids.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Hi. Not a beginner to g
Gpigs, just tTexels. Interesting about the cage idea...thanks. Will check out making my own. Fleece? Sounds really comfy, but how do you stop them from eating it? I'd just worry about them chewing and ingesting the fleece.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hi. Not a beginner to g
Gpigs, just tTexels. Interesting about the cage idea...thanks. Will check out making my own. Fleece? Sounds really comfy, but how do you stop them from eating it? I'd just worry about them chewing and ingesting the fleece.

Guinea pigs don't chew fleece. Cardboard yes, but I have never heard of them trying to chew the fleece. They aren't huge nibblers like other rodents.

Fleece is amazing bedding though, so much more cost efficient for big cages. You can make/buy liners or do a combo of towels/uhaul with fleece.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Yeah, fleece would cost less than even the pellet bedding at $6.00 for forty lbs. And it's soft, I bet they just love it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.