Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! New to guinea pigs!

minna

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

My family has always been a cat/dog family, but can't have either in our current apartment, so (after some reading and research) we decided that guinea pigs would be good companion pets for our family.

We just adopted two guinea pigs (possibly sisters?) from our city's animal shelter - I think they're both abyssinians?

They're still adjusting to life in their new home - 2x4 C+C cage (which we are likely to expand shortly). The girls are pretty jumpy, and nervous, which I understand is to be expected. Not sure what their life was like pre-shelter. Nor how happy they were in the shelter.

It's been super helpful reading the forum discussions, so I thought I'd introduce myself and join in! Hi!

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

My family has always been a cat/dog family, but can't have either in our current apartment, so (after some reading and research) we decided that guinea pigs would be good companion pets for our family.

We just adopted two guinea pigs (possibly sisters?) from our city's animal shelter - I think they're both abyssinians?

They're still adjusting to life in their new home - 2x4 C+C cage (which we are likely to expand shortly). The girls are pretty jumpy, and nervous, which I understand is to be expected. Not sure what their life was like pre-shelter. Nor how happy they were in the shelter.

It's been super helpful reading the forum discussions, so I thought I'd introduce myself and join in! Hi!

It is very normal for you're guinea pigs to be nervous at first, all guinea pigs start off like that. But, all guinea pigs have different personalities, some might get used to you quicker while others might take a longer time, but don't worry eventually you're guinea pigs will get to know you and they will understand you are not going to hurt you. Guinea pigs can be very affectionate animals so a lot of love is heading your way! I hope I helped you and I wish you and your guinea pigs an AWESOME future.

minna

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much! They seem to be settling in. The first day or so they were home, they rarely came out of their hideys. But now, they'll come out and explore when we're in the room, and today one of them took veggies from our hands.

They chatter quite a bit to each other, but seem very reluctant to be handled. They seem to be rumbling at each other quite a lot, which might very well be normal chatter to them. They certainly were quiet the first day or so, but not anymore!

Their nails are quite long, however and from what I can tell weren't properly trimmed in the shelter. There's a tension between letting them relax and warm up to us/trust us, and needing to do some basic care and grooming!! So far, I'm erring on not interfering with them, as much as possible.

It's interesting getting to know them both they have quite different personalities. I'll try and post a picture. They're quite...ahem...healthy sized
. Hi!  New to guinea pigs!

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Yes. They are abyssinians. They both look very plump and healthy. I hope they have a great adventure living with you and hope all goes well!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.